What's new

AC5300 on 380.66.4 "Forgetting" QoS Rules

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Slapdaddy

Occasional Visitor
Hello...been a while since I've been around here but I've got a legitimate issue that some smart minds can definitely help me figure out.. :)

I've got an AC5300 running the latest Merlin firmware (this issue has persisted on ALL firmware revisions since I've owned the router). I've got quite a few devices connected to my network...

Modem-->Router-->Switch - The switch is for a few computers that are usually running 24/7 and usually sharing a lot of data between themselves. As for the wireless...

5GHz 1 is for computers.
5GHz 2 is for FireTVs and anything that is dedicated to media streaming.
2.4GHz is for cell phones or anything mobile.
All included, I probably have about 20 devices accessing the network at any given time.

I have QoS enabled in bandwidth limiter mode and I have set the two FireTVs to be capped at 3 Mbps downstream and 1 Mbps upstream. This works initially, but over a variable amount of time, it seems the router will "forget" the bandwidth caps that I have set on the devices and they will open up to full speed, pulling 25 Mbps downstream over PlayStation Vue and other apps. I don't know whether the router is forgetting the rule altogether, or forgetting the speed limitation, or the device on which I need the speed limitation implemented. Now the rules for the FireTVs aren't deleted - I can still see them. What I usually do to remedy the issue, temporarily, is change the queue discipline to sfq then click apply, then go back to fq_codel.

The FireTVs are assigned an IP address that I have chosen in the reservation field in the router's web interface. To fix the problem permanently, I have tried assigning the FireTVs their own IP addresses through the FireTVs interface, changing the queue discipline, altering some wireless settings, switching through various firmwares and doing multiple resets. I even tried putting the FireTV behind a media bridge and ran an ethernet cable from the wireless media bridge to the FireTVs.

Nothing works. Eventually, at any given time, whether it be a day or a month, the router will forget the rule and the FireTVs will open up to full speed. I need to keep these bandwidth-limited due to hardcaps implemented by my service provider. I've got a lot of data coming and going. Any ideas??

have you tested adptive qos, see if that works

have you tested adptive qos, see if that works

No I have not, as I don't see how I can manually set a client's speeds through that kind of QoS. Is there a way to do that using adaptive QoS?

And are there any logs that can be useful to figure out how/why it's forgetting this rule?

priortieies based under bandwidth monitor, chose a device lower its band with allocation or raise it also make sure Apps analysis is enabled its important, it can pick up what app is being used and will check based on priotries you set it will throttle windows update i know that from actuall useage. Check the system logs it should give you an idea of whats going on with the rule set, for better bandwith alocation on adaptive qos use this it should help if running adaptive qos.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...category-unidentified-traffic-priority.36836/
Also may i ask which merlin version are you running?

priortieies based under bandwidth monitor, chose a device lower its band with allocation or raise it also make sure Apps analysis is enabled its important, it can pick up what app is being used and will check based on priotries you set it will throttle windows update i know that from actuall useage. Check the system logs it should give you an idea of whats going on with the rule set, for better bandwith alocation on adaptive qos use this it should help if running adaptive qos.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...category-unidentified-traffic-priority.36836/
Also may i ask which merlin version are you running?

I have application analysis enabled under the Bandwidth Monitor tab. I'm not sure which logs to check in the system though. I don't run adaptive QoS as I need a hard limit to how much data is transferred per second per device. I don't want them exceeding 3 Mbps. As far as I know, this is not possible with adaptive QoS.

Right now I am running 380.66_4. But this issue has plagued every firmware version since I have owned this router.

the main log in system log, and try fresh prince jr script for adaptive qos, set up and down bandwith at 95% of actuall values. See if that helps.

the main log in system log, and try fresh prince jr script for adaptive qos, set up and down bandwith at 95% of actuall values. See if that helps.

Got it. It's been a long July 4th weekend for me...haha. I will give it a shot and report back, thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!