What's new

AC66U: Merlin 380.62: OpenVPN client performance issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pete

Occasional Visitor
I am on AC66U (Broadcom BCM5300 chip rev 1), Merlin 380.62. Configured OpenVPN client to connect to a VPN service provider.

The OpenVPN performance is slow and getting about 2 Mbps.

Windows client connects at about 25Mbps.

I am looking for options to get a decent performance.

Is there a few pointers to get a better VPN client performance?

Thanks.
Pete.

Last edited:
I am on AC66U (Broadcom BCM5300 chip rev 1), Merlin 380.62. Configured OpenVPN client to connect to a VPN service provider.

The OpenVPN performance is slow and getting about 2 Mbps.

Windows client connects at about 25Mbps.

I am looking for options to get a decent performance.

Is there a few pointers to get a better VPN client performance?

Thanks.
Pete.

Looks like I am the only one having this issue. :(

Do I have to trash this router and go for a different one?

Looks like I am the only one having this issue. :(

Do I have to trash this router and go for a different one?

For the single core MIPS based routers, you are pretty limited on VPN throughput (just not enough processor).

For AES-128-CBC and SHA1 auth, max on the MIPS routers is about 10-12 Mb/s. If you use AES-256-CBC and SHA256 that will be cut in half to about 5-6 Mb/s.

For the single core MIPS based routers, you are pretty limited on VPN throughput (just not enough processor).

For AES-128-CBC and SHA1 auth, max on the MIPS routers is about 10-12 Mb/s. If you use AES-256-CBC and SHA256 that will be cut in half to about 5-6 Mb/s.

Thanks. I get it :). Looks like I expected too much from this compared to my old N13U-B1.

AES-256-CBC + comp-lzo may be an overkill for AC66U. May be AC68P an alternative?

nope its not running that on my RT-AC56U so it runs just fine :)

The RT-AC56U has a dual core 800MHz processor and the RT-AC66U has a single core 600MHz processor. Not comparable at all for VPN performance. :)

Pete, if you have access to the RT-AC1900P from Best Buy, that would be the best bang for the buck right now (1.4GHz dual processors). Otherwise, any of the routers you list in post 7 will give similar performance in VPN usage.

Try with the AC66U first see how it performs think it will handle it just fine

This is the best I can get on a 30/30 Mbps line, closest server. Anything to servers in the USA is terribly slow. However, with the windows client the speed is about 25Mbps.

As I said earlier, I am already using AC66U.

upload_2016-10-2_21-58-0.png