What's new

AC66U rebooting randomly after connecting new Nvidia Shield TV Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kevindd992002

Regular Contributor
I use my AC66U in AP mode as my main firewall/router is pfsense. I just got my new Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 and connected it to my AP's 5GHz Guest network (as my main 5GHz network is using a Radius server for authentication and the Shield does not support that). Everything seemed to be fine last night. When I woke up this morning, the AP is rebooting every 15-20 minutes or so. I've disconnected my Shield temporarily and the problem went away.

What could be causing this? I have IPv6 disabled on my Shield if that matters. Which logs in the AP can I check to pinpoint the root cause? I'm using Merlin's v380.70 firwmare (latest). Can HW Acceleration have any effect on this? And where do you exactly disable HW Acceleration? I don't see a section anywhere to disable that explicitly.

@RMerlin , do you have any ideas?

Side note (in case you weren't aware): The "guest" networks do not provide any isolation from your main LAN when running in AP mode.

As you're only using it as an AP I suggest that you trying flashing it with the latest stock firmware as 380.70 is very old now.

Side note (in case you weren't aware): The "guest" networks do not provide any isolation from your main LAN when running in AP mode.

As you're only using it as an AP I suggest that you trying flashing it with the latest stock firmware as 380.70 is very old now.

Yes, I'm fully aware :) The only reason I'm running a "guest" network ia because most IoT devices don't support RADIUS authentication. So it's like an extra SSID with regular wpa2 authentication only.

I see. How do you revert from Merlin to the Asus stock firmware? Also, why doesn't Merlin support older ASUS routers anymore?

I see. How do you revert from Merlin to the Asus stock firmware?
You don't really "revert", you just install the new firmware over what's currently installed. Remember to do a factory reset after installing the new firmware.;)

Also, why doesn't Merlin support older ASUS routers anymore?
Because he's only one man doing this in his spare time. He has limited time to dedicate to it, so to add support for the newer models he had to drop support for the older models. He explained this in detail in a post in the Merlin forum.

So far so good after upgrading to the latest stock firmware. It might have even solved my long-standing issue of my whole network bugging out when a wifi client joins. I'm not sure why I haven't thought of upgrading. I thought staying with the latest Merlin fw is the best route since I have an old AP anyway.

False alarm :( The same issue started happening again out of nowhere. Are there any other troubleshooting steps I can do here? Perhaps checking the logs by telnetting to the router?

Any further help here? I don't understand why an android wifi client would reboot a router.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Any further help here? I don't understand why an android wifi client would reboot a router.

I found a discussion about the Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 suffering continuous restarts... perhaps this could be upsetting your AP. Is the Shield running the latest firmware?

OE

I found a discussion about the Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 suffering continuous restarts... perhaps this could be upsetting your AP. Is the Shield running the latest firmware?

OE
I don't see the shield restarting, just the router. Can you link me to that discussion? Yeah, I have my shield updated to the latest FW too.

Thanks. I still highly doubt though that a client rebooting problem would affect the stability of this router. If it were, that would be very bad design.

You said if you disconnect the Shield, the problem goes away.

You said you have a long-standing issue of your whole network bugging out when a WiFi client joins.

I wonder what happens if you set aside the network, connect the AP as standalone router, and let the Shield join its WiFi. If that is stable, then maybe the AP and Shield are ok and your network has an issue. If it bugs out, you can inspect the router log for clues.

OE

You said if you disconnect the Shield, the problem goes away.

Correct. I tried it again a few hours and made sure to disable "wifi roaming" and "auto band selection" in the Shield and the problem started happening again. Disconnecting it from the AP stopped the issue as expected.

You said you have a long-standing issue of your whole network bugging out when a WiFi client joins.

I do have that long-standing network issue when a wifi client joins but that's a different beast altogether. This specific issue is very intermittent though. For example, when I join one of my laptops to the network, the Internet access stalls for a few minutes and then becomes stable again. And if I try disconnecting and reconnecting the laptop again, I won't be able to reproduce the issue (intermittent). I have not isolated this issue to either the AP or the pfsense router yet but I can tell you that not once did any of my network device rebooted unexpectedly before the Shield.

I wonder what happens if you set aside the network, connect the AP as standalone router, and let the Shield join its WiFi. If that is stable, then maybe the AP and Shield are ok and your network has an issue. If it bugs out, you can inspect the router log for clues.

OE

Yeah, I guess that test methodology won't hurt but I would have to prepare for it. I have too many settings in my pfsense router (rules for Docker containers, VPN, etc.) for me to blindly just remove it from the picture. But I still can't see how it's possible that maybe a broadcast storm is causing the AP to reboot or something? Aren't there any logs in the AP that can prove that this is (or this is not) the case?

Full reset, don't import settings, leave things at the suggested M&M Config defaults. Nuclear Reset also suggested.

See the link in my signature below for further details of the guides suggested above.

Full reset, don't import settings, leave things at the suggested M&M Config defaults. Nuclear Reset also suggested.

See the link in my signature below for further details of the guides suggested above.
I already did that (erased nvram by wps button method, reset to factory defaults, etc.) when I switched from Merlin to the latest stock firmware. I would need to check your sig (using tapatalk at the moment) if there are other informations I missed.

You may have also performed the other suggested steps too, but yes, much more info than what we outlined above. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!