What's new

AC68U cannot access settings page?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

b0gd4n

Occasional Visitor
Hey,

For the last couple of days I have been trying to access the router settings page, but all I am getting when loading 192.168.1.1 (or the user.asuscomm.com site) is this message:

whaa_zpscd1bd4a2.jpg

I have tried rebooting the router, as well as my laptop; same result.

can someone please let me know what do I need to do to get back to the settings page?

EDIT: tried disconnecting from the 5ghz band and connect to the 2.4 one, same result...

Clear the cache on your browser (or use a different one) and type in the stock IP address of 192.168.1.1. Should work.

Also, be sure to try this from a computer that is connected to the router via a wired LAN port connection.

If you still can't connect, you might try using a program like Asus' "WiFi Survey" (I believe you can download this as part of the tools from any of the Asus USB-AC adapter software/firmware pages. You can also try using an app like "F*ing" for Android to see what's going on with your network and the router, i.e., to determine whether the router's IP has really changed or it's just your browser causing the issue.

The easiest and quickest of course is just to reset the router. Hold in the reset button on the back of the router for 20-30 seconds and let it reset itself to factory settings (you'll see the LED's turn off and then turn back on again on the front of the router). Unplug the router, wait another 30 seconds to a minute, and then reboot again. You should then be taken into the Quick Connect setup page if everything has been reset properly. You will have to manually reenter all your settings and passwords, and the rest of your settings as well unless you've previously saved them and can do a restore settings, but it's probably not a bad idea to take the 10 minutes or so required to re-input all of your settings by hand so you are starting over fresh.

Clear the cache on your browser (or use a different one) and type in the stock IP address of 192.168.1.1. Should work.

Also, be sure to try this from a computer that is connected to the router via a wired LAN port connection.

If you still can't connect, you might try using a program like Asus' "WiFi Survey" (I believe you can download this as part of the tools from any of the Asus USB-AC adapter software/firmware pages. You can also try using an app like "F*ing" for Android to see what's going on with your network and the router, i.e., to determine whether the router's IP has really changed or it's just your browser causing the issue.

The easiest and quickest of course is just to reset the router. Hold in the reset button on the back of the router for 20-30 seconds and let it reset itself to factory settings (you'll see the LED's turn off and then turn back on again on the front of the router). Unplug the router, wait another 30 seconds to a minute, and then reboot again. You should then be taken into the Quick Connect setup page if everything has been reset properly. You will have to manually reenter all your settings and passwords, and the rest of your settings as well unless you've previously saved them and can do a restore settings, but it's probably not a bad idea to take the 10 minutes or so required to re-input all of your settings by hand so you are starting over fresh.

OK, I tried another browser, cleared all data, tried incognito and this is what I get now:

1_zpsa945e282.png

I do not have a PC or laptop with ethernet port. Will have to get and usb adapter for this.

Anyone has any other ideas?? :mad::mad:

Disconnect power from both the computer and the router at the same time. You may as well power down your modem too at this point, it probably won't help, but it won't hurt either.

Before you power down everything:
Disable, reset or delete all saved passwords and forms on the browser settings. You can use the free CCleaner for this.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Download the slim build so you don't install anymore adware on your system.

After you power down your network,
Disconnect any USB attached devices from the router.

Now, in order:
Power up the modem, wait 5 minutes.
Power up the router, wait 5 minutes.
Power up your computer, wait 5 minutes or more and clear your browser cache at this point before using your browser at all.

If you still can't connect at this point,

What OS are you using? What browser? What tweaks, if any, have you done to either?

Can you bring a friend with a laptop over and try to use their system and IE to access your router?

Using a USB to LAN adaptor will not solve anything, imo. Look for other solutions instead.

Disconnect power from both the computer and the router at the same time. You may as well power down your modem too at this point, it probably won't help, but it won't hurt either.

Before you power down everything:
Disable, reset or delete all saved passwords and forms on the browser settings. You can use the free CCleaner for this.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Download the slim build so you don't install anymore adware on your system.

After you power down your network,
Disconnect any USB attached devices from the router.

Now, in order:
Power up the modem, wait 5 minutes.
Power up the router, wait 5 minutes.
Power up your computer, wait 5 minutes or more and clear your browser cache at this point before using your browser at all.

If you still can't connect at this point,

What OS are you using? What browser? What tweaks, if any, have you done to either?

Can you bring a friend with a laptop over and try to use their system and IE to access your router?

Using a USB to LAN adaptor will not solve anything, imo. Look for other solutions instead.

would completely resetting the router solve the issues?

would completely resetting the router solve the issues?

I tried that too, but only got the issue resolved with upgrading to the newest firmware.

What firmware are you using, btw?

I tried that too, but only got the issue resolved with upgrading to the newest firmware.

What firmware are you using, btw?

i'm on a merlin build. can't remember which one exactly, but I do know that it's not the latest.

so, if I upgrade the firmware, after resetting, it might fix the issue?

I've had this same issue on Chrome and Firefox since installing the latest firmware with TA experimental build. I did not have this problem on beta2.

My only workaround is using IE11 which just throws the cert error but I can still login to the GUI at least.

[edit]I have also tried reflashing and factory default and reconfigure but the issue persists. Also clearing all browser caches, disabling firefox offline cache etc.

Last edited:
You do not need to reset before you flash the new firmware file.

Get access to the gui or with the firmware restoration tool and flash the new firmware.

Then you need to reset to factory defaults and manually and minimally configure the router to connect to your ISP and secure it.

This has to-do with the wan redirection page and has been a long term issue when messing with http/https ports and settings. To fix it do the following;

Administration - System - Enable WAN down browser redirect notice > No

This has to-do with the wan redirection page and has been a long term issue when messing with http/https ports and settings. To fix it do the following;

Administration - System - Enable WAN down browser redirect notice > No

cannot do that as I cannot access the settings page.

Then put your router in recovery mode or hold down the WPS button for about 15 seconds while you're powering up your router, when it's off.

Yes, that is correct.

You need a LAN / wired connection and you need to manually set the IP address to anything within the default range except the 192.168.1.1 address of the router.

You need a LAN / wired connection and you need to manually set the IP address to anything within the default range except the 192.168.1.1 address of the router.

alright. will need to get hold of and usb to ethernet adapter then

Nah, just invite or go to a friends house with your router and have a coffee and use his laptop or desktop for a few minutes.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!