What's new

AC68U on a 400/400 connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

campster123

New Around Here
Hey,

So I run a small co-working space (which also houses my video production company) and we have just had an ADSL 2+ connection for the past few years. We've been using an Asus DSL-AC68U and it's been fine so far. We have about 20 people in the studio and up to 50 odd clients connected at any given time.

Now we're finally able to get a Fiber connection to the studio (400/400) and before I run out and upgrade our router, I was wondering the following:

- Will the DSL-AC68U be able to cope with the 400/400 connection (it runs to an ETU that I figure I can run an Ethernet cable from, to an Ethernet port on the AC68U and use that as the WAN connection)?

- Will the CPU be able to cope with routing duties for 50 odd clients on said connection?

- Can I setup bandwidth control so that some of the network is on a bandwidth limited 50/50 and those that want the full 400/400 service can access it separately?

My thoughts at the moment is I will try to set it up with this router for now, and then if it seems to be falling over I'll look at going something more business class if needed.

Cheers,

Adam

Use the router you have now, but with the 400/400 Fibre connection you'll have, I don't think the RT-AC68U is sufficient anymore, ime.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/sh...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

I would suggest the RT-AC3100 or (not as highly for your situation) the RT-AC1900P (Best Buy exclusive).

When I upgraded my ISP speeds from 50/10 (DSL) to 100/20 (Fibre) and currently 150/150 Fibre, each time I can see the RT-AC68U I have being used above what it is truly capable of (I value low latency over high throughput). Not that the router can't supply the 150/150 Mbps speeds from my ISP (to any single device or two). But it is clear it is being taxed in my workloads when multiple clients are engaged with the router features I use (AiProtection, VPN's, etc.).

Sure, you can continue to use the RT-AC68U with around 50 clients and that 400/400 connection. But I wouldn't want to. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!