What's new

AC86U - 2.4Ghz Band Dropping Connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Erah

Occasional Visitor
Firmware Version: 384.6 (AC86U)

For the past few days, the 2.4Ghz wireless band has been dropping/losing connection to the connected devices: however the 5Ghz band remains stable.

2.4Ghz gets ultimately slow, to a point where it's non-usable. It then requires a reboot to start working as it should, but that only lasts about 10 minutes, requiring a reboot again.

I've tried both restore/initializing, but nothing seems to get it working consistently as it should.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

If you haven’t already, manually set your channel and choose 20mhz.

Under Professional settings, disable what I have listed below. See how that goes.

2.4GHz

Control channel: 6 (manually set)
Channel bandwidth: 20mhz (manually set)

Under Professional settings:

Turbo QAM: disabled
Airtime fairness: disabled (disabled by default in Merlin)
Beamforming settings: disabled (both)

Okay, I will try that out now.

But what I don't understand is that it was working for months on Merlin without having to tweak or change any settings.

Throughput, connectivity, & consistency on the 2.4Ghz band was flawless until just a couple days ago.

You could always try the 384.7 alpha build Merlin has up. I have over 6 days uptime on it and it’s running great. I noticed 2.4 ghz is performing better on one of my TVs, so Asus might have tweaked something. Worth a look see, if you don’t mind running a pre-release.

many have this, for me it seems since CRACK-fix they lost the ability to handle interferences or something else went wrong.
Starts short time with 130Mb/s going down to under 1Mb/s. Disable and reenable Wifi on PC sometimes help for short time.

Extremly if 2 routers placed near together!

Since disabling WPS on 2.4 GHz the 5GHz WiFi has been rock solid for 7 days.

Try disabling WPS seems to have cured my issue.

This however is on a RT-AC3200

If you're using a USB disk/stick/something check if you have USB 3 active. That kills my 2.4 real good, set it to USB 2

If you're using a USB disk/stick/something check if you have USB 3 active. That kills my 2.4 real good, set it to USB 2
Than they have to send me a NEW router !!!

They advertised it a lot as first router with USB3.0 and therefor much higher speed!
Not as a router with a blue USB-slot for nothing ...

But anyway there is nothing connected on mine to interfere with 2.4G.

Last edited:
Although I do not have the same router, lately I've been experiencing 2.4 GHz instability with Merlin's 384.6. I'll have to see if the alpha previously mentioned, if available for 68U & 56U.

I'm running 87u with 384.5
For a long time I have been fighting with 2.4 configuration to keep my ~15 WiFi devices to be online (cameras and wifi power switches, etc). I check with ping ~15 min and there will nearly always be some devices that are not reachable. I have tried lots of combinations and sometimes it look better but over time I have always come back to devices dropping their connection. Now for a week I have found my golden settings (attached). Setting Multicast Rate to CCK1 (and to some extent Beacon to 40) is the setting making my system stable. It should be noted that Im in no interest in performance, only stability and range.

Attachments

• 2.4_WiFi.jpg
    2.4_WiFi.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,647
Is this really a thing?

My USB is in the 2.0 slot . I only run ABSolution, Pixelser, Skynet etc from it, and was wondering it would be beneficial to move my USB drive to the USB 3.0 port...

I currently have zero issues with connectivity or throughput on either wifi band.

Is this really a thing?

USB3.0 is known to use same frequency spectrum as 2.4G, so yes limiting it down to USB2.0 can help.
But should only be an issue with badly shielded USB-cables or badly shielded USP-ports on the router itself ... what we know is fact at least for initial HW-releases of 68U.
And this is done by software and not by hardware (disable additional pins). So this will be the next problem for some devices to not function on USB3.0 port even if downgraded to USB2.0.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!