What's new

[AC86U] Can VPN server config be deleted?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Patrick9876

Regular Contributor
I'm about to try creating a VPN (OpenVPN) server on my AC86U and expect needing to try a number of configurations before I get what I want. Is there a way to delete an instance of a VPN server without doing a factory reset? (The answer may be obvious once I've gone through the process, but I'd like to know before I start.) I notice that 2 instances are supported (at least under Merlin 384.14.2) but I expect I'll need more than 2 attempts.

If the instance cannot be deleted, can the configuration be changed an a new client definition be exported? If the answer is "Yes", are there options that cannot be changed?

The client is going to live on a laptop running Windows with internet connectivity provided by a tethered cell phone on an AT&T network. Windows, AT&T, and my ignorance may dictate changing my initial attempts at configuring the server.

Things that I may need to change:
  • Client VPN access (If Windows lets me use the VPN client to access my LAN and an Ethernet port to access everything else, I want "LAN only", but I suspect I will have to use the VPN for internet access.)
  • OpenVPN port (although I don't think AT&T blocks this)
  • VPN subnet (My ignorance. Is my LAN's subnet NATed to this?)

OK. I've answered one of my questions. The default port it fine - not blocked.

And I sort of answered another: I don't think I need to give the VPN server internet access. My laptop was perfectly happy to continue using its Ethernet connection. In fact, I could not figure out how to get it to use the VPN connection. I was able to get a perfectly good VPN client-to-server connection but have no idea how to tell Windows to use it. I obviously need to find some Windows oriented OpenVPN doc. (There are many tutorials on how to install OpenVPN on Windows, how to run it, and how to make connections. I can find nothing on how to use it.)

I'm going to abandon this thread because the original question is irrelevant. As near as I can tell, I can change server options on the fly without deleting and rebuilding the instance of the VPN server. New problems will be mentioned in a new thread.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!