What's new

AC86U (Merlin) OpenVPN - basic questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Patrick9876

Regular Contributor
I have set up an OpenVPN connection between my router and a Windows PC. I can establish connections from the PC to hosts on my LAN by IP address (so obviously routing is working), but I achieved that only by by positioning the TAP/TUN adapter at the top of my adapters in Windows. I suspect that is not the "proper" way of doing it. And name resolution is not working.

While debugging I noticed that I cannot see nay evidence of the PC in the router except for in the VPN connection display. There is nothing in the routing table (either the tunnel's subnet or the host at the endpoint). Is that normal? Seems like there should be something indicating that the remote host is reached via the VPN tunnel rather than router's default WAN connection.

It looks like I've missed something significant in the setup. Where do I start looking?

Also, is there any way to display the OpenVPN server's configuration file? Much of the debugging clues I've seen on the web mention making custom changes to the config. I see how to add custom definitions, but I have no idea what is already there.

I seem to have gotten my VPN working now, but I'm not sure how. I defined a domain name for my router and now name resolution works ... even when specifying an unqualified host name. Could be coincidental, but I'm not fighting it - suddenly I could get at my NAS devices from the remote PC. Getting to my local PCs took some tweaking to the PCs' firewalls; I was blocking Pings and remote desktop connections from anything outside the LAN. I opened those up to the VPN tunnel's subnet and all is well.

But I'd still like to know how to display the OpenVPN server's config statements on the router.

But I'd still like to know how to display the OpenVPN server's config statements on the router.
On RMerlin
Code:
ls -lah /etc/openvpn /jffs/openvpn
e.g. OpenVPN Server 1
Code:
ls -lah /etc/openvpn/server1/

Last edited:
On RMerlin
Code:
ls -lah /etc/openvpn /jffs/openvpn
e.g. OpenVPN Server 1
Code:
ls -lah /etc/openvpn/server1/
Please understand that I do not know Linux (or any flavor of *). I have not seen any way to enter such commands through the WebGUI. Do use a SSH connection? If so, do I authenticate with the router's admin userid and password (as used with the WebGUI) or do I need to define another user for SSH use?