What's new

AC86U (Merlin) - Router's Domain Name

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Patrick9876

Regular Contributor
I currently access all devices on my LAN with a single level host name. For instance, I use
\\OF-Pub-NAS1\Public to access a public share in Windows. I have such references all over the place in 4 computers on my LAN.

There is a field labeled "RT-AC86U's Domain Name" in the "LAN IP" and "DHCP Server" tabs in my routers WebGUI. I assume that all my single level hostname resolution requests will fail if I set this value. Yes?

I've seen some mention that the router's domain name is either required or at least helpful for name resolution across a VPN from a remote client. Is that correct? (I hope not.)

There is a field labeled "RT-AC86U's Domain Name" in the "LAN IP" and "DHCP Server" tabs in my routers WebGUI. I assume that all my single level hostname resolution requests will fail if I set this value. Yes?
No. The client will automatically append your LAN domain name to any unqualified host name queries (assuming the client is configured correctly). Windows clients can also use other name resolution techniques, like NetBIOS and mDNS.

I've seen some mention that the router's domain name is either required or at least helpful for name resolution across a VPN from a remote client. Is that correct? (I hope not.)
It can be helpful when diagnosing name resolution problems. The thing to remember is that even if you don't specify a domain name in the router's LAN settings that doesn't mean your clients aren't using FQDNs. Your domain is effectively a null string, e.g. "". So you can do something like "nslookup mypc1." Note the trailing dot.

This is why having a domain name set is helpful. Without one it's easy to confuse "mypc1" with "mypc1.". The first is unqualified and the second is qualified. It's much less confusing to see "mypc1" and "mypc1.home.lan".

Last edited:
Thank you. I think I'll set the domain name.

Oh. Do the fields "LAN IP" and "DHCP Server" behave differently? I don't understand the need for both settings.

Oh. Do the fields "LAN IP" and "DHCP Server" behave differently? I don't understand the need for both settings.
Sorry I don't see a domain name field under "LAN IP". But my firmware if different than yours.

Is your device in "router mode"? Can you post a screen shot.

Sorry I don't see a domain name field under "LAN IP". But my firmware if different than yours.

Is your device in "router mode"? Can you post a screen shot.

Wireless router mode.

upload_2020-1-22_19-45-33.png

The other place was in the DHCP settings:
upload_2020-1-22_19-54-1.png

Ok That's different to mine.

They do indeed appear to be the same thing. Try entering a domain name (e.g. home.lan) into one of those fields and applying it. I suspect that it will then appear in the other field automatically. There used to be a similar thing where you could enter the router's host name on two different screens but they both updated the same setting.

Ok That's different to mine.
Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea why the difference? Different release of firmware - I'm on Merlin 384.14.2 - or just a different router? I see 374.43_39E3j9527 in your signature so I assume this is due to a difference in firmware.

I'm brand new to non-stock firmware and to doing anything beyond plain vanilla router configurations. Maybe I'd have a better chance of getting questions answered if used different firmware. (I didn't even know there was a "John fork" until yesterday and have no idea what it is about.)

Yes I use John's fork which is based on a very old firmware version and looks quite a bit different because of that. The reason I use it is just personal preference. It hasn't been officially updated for quite a while so I wouldn't suggest you use it instead of the current Merlin release. Merlin's firmware has by far the most support of any Asus firmware. Just look at the number of threads/posts in the Merlin forum compared to the other Asus subforums.

I defined a domain name for my router and now name resolution works over my VPN ... even when specifying an unqualified host name. Could be coincidental, but I'm not fighting it - suddenly I could get at my LAN devices from the remote PC.

I defined a domain name for my router and now name resolution works over my VPN ... even when specifying an unqualified host name. Could be coincidental, but I'm not fighting it - suddenly I could get at my LAN devices from the remote PC.

I am also having similar issues with my VPN.
So, which option did you finally change? In "LAN IP" or in "DHCP Server"?

Last edited:
It looks like I set it in both. Or maybe I set it in one place and it magically appeared in both. (I don't really remember which.) Try setting it in both.

It looks like I set it in both. Or maybe I set it in one place and it magically appeared in both. (I don't really remember which.) Try setting it in both.

Setting the domain name in one spot updates the other.

I have a AD on my lan that I use for learning / teaching. The LAN name is particularly useful in that respect as well.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!