What's new

AC86U won't power on

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shas95

Occasional Visitor
Morning

I rebooted my router through the ASUS ios app and now the router won't turn on. When i try turning it on using the switch at the back, the 4th ethernet led blinks for a second then the power led for about 10 seconds and then it switches off.

I've tried unplugging it for about a minute and then plugging it, holding the reset and a hard reset but none of these seemed to have worked. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Do you have an alternate PSU that you could try? Maybe your current one is failing and can’t supply enough current/voltage.

Do you have an alternate PSU that you could try? Maybe your current one is failing and can’t supply enough current/voltage.
I think this might be the issue as I have tried to use the firmware recovery tool and I still have the same issue. Not sure if I have any other devices that use the same input so I'll have to order one.

When I plug in a ethernet cable the light comes on so theres definitely some power going to it. No lights for the WAN or the 2 wifi ones.

Last edited:
Morning

I rebooted my router through the ASUS ios app and now the router won't turn on. When i try turning it on using the switch at the back, the 4th ethernet led blinks for a second then the power led for about 10 seconds and then it switches off.

I've tried unplugging it for about a minute and then plugging it, holding the reset and a hard reset but none of these seemed to have worked. Any ideas?

Thanks!

When my 2-year old 2018 China 86U only booted up to a half lit LED4, I got an RMA and Asus replaced it in 10 days with a 2020 Vietnam 86U.

OE

When my 2-year old 2018 China 86U only booted up to a half lit LED4, I got an RMA and Asus replaced it in 10 days with a 2020 Vietnam 86U.

OE
My router is from 2017 and I purchased it from eBay so I doubt ASUS will repair or replace it. I have contacted them anyway.

I tried a power adapter from one of my landline telephones and I have the same issue. I also tried my Echo Show 5 adapter but I didnt get any response from the router at all, I suspect its got a too low wattage.

Interestingly when I have it plugged in to my laptop via ethernet and go to 192.168.1.1 on my browser I get taken to a webpage asking me to update the software. This isnt the usual ASUS GUI. I tried updating the firmware through the webpage but I still have the same problem. I wonder if its a different issue and not the PSU?

Screen-Shot-2020-06-02-at-15-46-23.png

@Shas95 upload a current firmware and let it be for at least an hour or more. This process is very slow from the recovery UI.

@Shas95 upload a current firmware and let it be for at least an hour or more. This process is very slow from the recovery UI.

So that is a "recovery UI"? Under what circumstances does it present?

OE

Left the router unplugged overnight after doing a firmware recovery last night but it still won’t boot up. Concerned how it might be bricked from just a simple reboot.

Not heard back from ASUS but I’m pretty sure I won’t be offered to RMA. I’m surprised this only lasted 3 years. My previous AC66u lasted about 5 years before it packed in a similar way.

Response from ASUS :(

Unfortunately, it seems that this may be a hardware fault and, in such cases, you should contact your re-seller.

I understand this is inconvenient, however in this case we suggest you contact your retailer for advice on returns/replacement or any other options they can offer. As part of the sale process the retailer accepted that they would control all returns/replacement on behalf of ASUS for the duration of the warranty. They should be able to sort this out for you. ASUS has no other policy on these devices; We cannot replace or repair routers.

As part of the sale process the retailer accepted that they would control all returns/replacement on behalf of ASUS for the duration of the warranty.

That's different. What the location and retailer?

OE

I’m in the UK and I bought it from a business seller from eBay. I doubt they’ll be willing to help 3 years after.

Undoubtedly so... your warranty is expired.

The interesting bit is how Asus appears to use that channel. I'm skeptical of any reseller being able to provide meaningful warranty service/support for the duration of an OEM warranty.

OE

I'm skeptical of any reseller being able to provide meaningful warranty service/support for the duration of an OEM warranty.

I've done it a few times over the years as a reseller. Customer brings in the defective device, we contact Asus' RMA department with a proof of purchase from our supplier, and we handle the process with Asus.

This will obviously not work if, as a reseller, who work within the grey market (buying from an unauthorized/foreign supplier).

I've done it a few times over the years as a reseller. Customer brings in the defective device, we contact Asus' RMA department with a proof of purchase from our supplier, and we handle the process with Asus.

This will obviously not work if, as a reseller, who work within the grey market (buying from an unauthorized/foreign supplier).

Or a reseller who sells more defective product than they are prepared to support, and/or when their heart isn't in it.

But I can understand selectively offering this to reach difficult markets. A 'seller on eBay' might tend to strain this selectivity.

Generally not a first world concern here in the US, although we're rapidly digressing these days.

OE

Having been out of the router game for a couple of years, what’s a good replacement/upgrade from the ac86u?

Having been out of the router game for a couple of years, what’s a good replacement/upgrade from the ac86u?

Another AC86U?

Otherwise, shop AX.

OE

I should have read more of these threads before buying a used AC86U on Ebay. It arrived today and powered on fine. I updated to the most recent 384-level firmware and set up what I could without an internet connections (my son's family is using the internet so I can't take my 66U_B1 out of service until the weekend.) A couple hours later I came back to play with it and the lights were off. Won't power up and only the port 4 LED light is on. Tried the reset button for 20+ seconds and nothing happened. I will contact the seller but I'm pretty sure it was a no return auction and since it did power up the first time, I don't think I can blame him. The thing came in the original packaging and looks brand new. It's a made in China 2018 unit so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Oh well, live and learn.

Try a different the wall wart power supply. I'm not sure the 66U uses the same supply but the AC68s use the same supply as the AC86.

Finding a replacement won't be easy because very few things other than ASUS routers use 19v adapters. If you can't find one to try locally and if you are in the US contact me and I will sell you one for $5 plus the cost to ship it priority mail.

The 2018 AC86 models from China had more than their fair share of problems but it wasn't normally failing to power up. It was the radios.