What's new

AC87U and wireless AC on 2.4ghz band

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

julsssark

New Around Here
I am testing a AC87U router using the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.378.4376). When I connect to the 2.4ghz band, my MacBook Pro is showing my connection as wireless AC (see screenshot and note that the 5mhz band uses a separate SSID). I am not sure whether this is a bug with the router or the MacBook Pro.

When I connect the same MacBook Pro to my AC66U (running the excellent Merlin Firmware), the Mac correctly reports wireless N on the 2.4ghz band.

juls

2015-03-04_15-56-38.png

I am testing a AC87U router using the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.378.4376). When I connect to the 2.4ghz band, my MacBook Pro is showing my connection as wireless AC (see screenshot and note that the 5mhz band uses a separate SSID). I am not sure whether this is a bug with the router or the MacBook Pro.
View attachment 3391

Non-standard information elements in the 2.4GHz Beacon Frame - basically TurboQAM support by the router - it's not really 802.11ac (because that doesn't exist), but the WiFi driver in OSX sees the information elements in the beacon and thinks it's AC... it won't actually use it, as Apple is fairly strict, so you'll get the 802.11n speeds similar to what you see with the AC66u...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!