What's new

AC87U - Running Java with Entware or Optware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dalle

Occasional Visitor
Hey network geek fellas.

Anyone running java or heard about someone running java on either entware or optware with succes ?

All comments, experiences, links and guides are much appreciated.

Best regards, Daniel

Last edited:
Hey network geek fellas.

Anyone running java or heard about someone running java on either entware or optware with succes ?

Best regards, Daniel
It's possible for arm routers but you need to install debian in chroot environment first

It's possible for arm routers but you need to install debian in chroot environment first

Thanks a lot TeHashX. Sounds like it will be my winter fiddling project.

I will get back with a contribution to the documentation on the wiki once I have a satisfying solution with a Java + Apache Tomcat + MySQL running on my AC87U.

Its just so amazing that we can turn our routers into (nearly) fullblown servers...Just love it!

Have a nice day, Br Daniel / Copenhagen

Thanks a lot TeHashX. Sounds like it will be my winter fiddling project.

I will get back with a contribution to the documentation on the wiki once I have a satisfying solution with a Java + Apache Tomcat + MySQL running on my AC87U.

Its just so amazing that we can turn our routers into (nearly) fullblown servers...Just love it!

Have a nice day, Br Daniel / Copenhagen
Here is an example (java at point 7)

https://www.hqt.ro/bubbleupnp-server-through-debian-arm/

Im following all the steps in order to install BubbleUpnp like on the link above. but when its time to start debian it gives me an error saying -sh: debian: Permission denied
PLEASE HELP..
chmod +x /opt/etc/initd/S99debian

Hey network geek fellas.

Best regards, Daniel
Now java8 jre is available from optware-ng without chrooted debian
Code:
ipkg install openjdk8-jre-headless

Last edited:
Trying different vservers around the globe until I find a cheap one and sometime is offiline, now is online but with some dns issues, please let me know if you can't reach the website.

Hopefully it's OK to resurrect an old thread. I'm a newbie here, have recently acquired an Asus RT-AC68U, running AsusWRT-Merlin. I have been busy customizing it to my needs, and so far have installed entware with several packages to enable running pyTivo (a python-based media server for Tivo). All of this is an amazing compilation of software, and you all have my greatest respect and gratitude.

For my next project, I'd like to get Streambaby working (a media streaming application for Tivo), but it requires Java JRE. Can someone give me some tips or pointers to the most current (and easiest) solution for installing Java? Per this thread, it is/was available via optware, but can I install both optware and entware at the same time on my router? They seem to occupy the same space, and I don't find Java available through entware.

I was hoping I could just directly download a current Java JRE package from Oracle (and I did), but it won't run. The 'file' command reports:
Code:
java: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux.so.3,
for GNU/Linux 2.6.16, BuildID[sha1]=37208bbdca7992e239210e03dd701c4bcf84bf69, stripped
Beyond my current understanding of why it won't work, but I'll readily accept that it's not that easy. Any help here?

Thx!

TeHashX - Thanks for the response. I've decided to shelve this particular project (Streambaby on my router). I've concluded it's not a good match for a router. Streambaby is a bit of a pig even on a relatively powerful PC, so going to a lot of trouble to get Java running on the router is not time well spent. On to other projects ...

Thanks again though for the great support this forum provides.

-Mark

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!