What's new

AC88U 5GHz Frequency Drops

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

David B

Regular Contributor
For some time now, I have been trying to resolve issues with my AC88U dropping its 5GHz wireless frequency. I had it working for a while now, but since a power failure that occurred two days ago, it's been doing it again. I increased the logging (I'm using Merlin on the router) so that the next time it happened, I would get more information since previously, the log was not detailed enough. Here's what I saw when it dropped the next time:

Aug 22 22:42:38 kernel: br0: port 1(vlan1) neighbor 8000.[MAC ADDRESS REMOVED] lost
Aug 22 22:42:38 kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating

I've traced the MAC address that was listed back to an 87U that I am using in media bridge mode (also running Merlin). What can I do to resolve this issue? This log entry is from last night when it happened, but it happened to me again about 10 minutes ago, and the entry was identical down to the MAC address.

Do you have any ideas @RMerlin ? As you may recall, I have been dealing with this problem on-and-off for several months now. I cannot rely on my 88U whatsoever. How can such a high-end router be such a piece of junk? This happened to me several times since making this post, and I have no idea what to do.

I was able to finally work this out I think. It's a shame that @RMerlin does not seem to be saying anything about this. Being as involved as he is in the development of custom firmware for Asus, he has to know that this is an issue that many have experienced. I guess when Asus sends you free routers, you keep quiet so they keep coming. ;)

I guess when Asus sends you free routers, you keep quiet so they keep coming.

This is complete BS. I don't say anything simply because I have nothing to say. Wifi is completely outside of my control, and too often people's complains about their wifi have nothing to do with the router or the firmware, but with their environment or their clients.

I'm not paid by Asus to provide technical support for their products. If you need support, contact them, not me.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!