What's new

AC88U : Link Aggregation while in Wireless Access Point mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SixMilesToVegas

New Around Here
tldr: is there any way to enable Bonding / Link Aggregation on an RT-AC88U while it is in Access Point mode?

Long version:
My network includes one GT-AC5300, one RT-AC88U, and a NAS. The 5300 is the main router, connected to the cable modem. The NAS supports Link Aggregation, and I want to enable it but the NAS and the 5300 are in different rooms and cannot be moved together, so I cannot pair the NAS with the 5300 for Link Aggregation.

That's where the 88 comes in. The 88 is next to the NAS and also has an ethernet connection to the 5300, so I can use LAN 1/2 from the 88 for aggregation with the NAS. Most of the wired clients are in the same room as the 88, so LAG makes sense in the scenario. I want to use the 88 for its aggregation capabilities but I don't want it to be a router; I want the 88 and its connected clients to be on the same subnet as the 5300, and to let the 5300 be the router. I can do that if the 88 is in Access Point mode, but Link Aggregation (on the 'Switch Control' tab) is only available if the 88 is in Router mode and not when it is in WAP mode.

Is there any way to get aggregation enabled, perhaps manually through scripts on the JFFS partition, while the device is operating as an access point?

Am I missing something and there is a better option?