What's new

AC88U... Merlin Worth it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

R

Rippin6gears

So after plenty of research I bought a AC88U. Happy with it so far in our house with 6 wired and handful of wireless Apple items, but curious if it's worth it to update it with this Merlin. Any real benefit?

as an 88u user yes theres is a hell of a lot of benifits, just go read the fatures page not to mention the massive amount of ubder the hood changes hes made to fix countless nubers of issues. The most important ones that ive had use for was the upnp ones, my advice is to flash it then factory reset, then input your settings manually test it to see if you like it if not then revert

as an another 88u user; using 88u with asus wrt is like driving your ferrari with 3 wheels. :rolleyes:

but curious if it's worth it to update it with this Merlin. Any real benefit?

well you suggested

Happy with it so far in our house with 6 wired and handful of wireless Apple items

if your happy with the stock i see no reason to need to go merlin until you need its specific and extra features , the reason i say this is merlins fw is built on the stock and relies on the stock base , installing merlins wont give you extra coverage or faster throughput

AC88U... Merlin Worth it?
Yep, since years I buy only router which are supported by Merlin! :cool:

And: I donate yearly to Merlin for his outstanding commitment and effort to make Asus routers better then Asus was thinking off! ;)

Last edited:
For whatever it is worth, I’m using Merlin’s firmware on my AC88U. The main reason for doing so to me is the ability to run a number of scripts (Skynet and ABS to name a few), and added features.