What's new

AC88U overclock strange behavior

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

djrm

Regular Contributor
Hi All,

I have tried to OC an AC88u from 1400 to 1600Mhz, however it seems that something is wrong as after reboot the router the cpu is running really busy and performance obviously drop down a lot (i.e. running at 1400 I reach 300Mb/s without any issue in any test, but in 1600 Im able to get a maximum of 30Mb/s)

Have someone seen this behavior before? am I missing anything?
Im running 380.59 and the commands used through ssh were the usual ones:
nvram set clkfreq=1600,800
nvram commit and then reboot.

I have back to stock and works fine.

Thanks in advance

P.S. Note router already have an active fan and temp. is around 60º with stock freq

Overclocking success is the luck of the draw. Your sample processor isn't a 'win' this time. :(

You might want to try another processor speed before you give up (at your own risk, of course). Maybe 1600MHz is not supported by the processor?

Overclocking success is the luck of the draw. Your sample processor isn't a 'win' this time. :(

You might want to try another processor speed before you give up (at your own risk, of course). Maybe 1600MHz is not supported by the processor?
Thanks L&LD, I tried also with 1500 with the same behavior, so not sure if I should try with additional rate :)

Not sure what to suggest (except don't do it) at this time.

Very little information available for the processor your 'AC88U has. Maybe RMerlin or someone else can give their input in what allowable frequencies the processor allows based by what they may have seen deep within the code?

What is the goal for a higher processor speed? Is 1.4GHz still not enough? :)

Saw something similar, if I recall, on one of the other threads where trying to overclock the CPU resulted in the cpu clock dropping to 100MHz - changes in the Broadcom board support packages maybe?

Not sure what to suggest (except don't do it) at this time.

Very little information available for the processor your 'AC88U has. Maybe RMerlin or someone else can give their input in what allowable frequencies the processor allows based by what they may have seen deep within the code?

What is the goal for a higher processor speed? Is 1.4GHz still not enough? :)
I made some improvements in my previous AC87u specially when I was downloading from 1laptop and using the VPN at same time, so CPU utilization obviously was quite high, but after oc a bit, it improve a lot.
Now with the 88 is really better but just was thinking if the same could be done, but I guest not than simple at least :) I tried with 1500, 1600 and 1700 without success, so will not further try...

Saw something similar, if I recall, on one of the other threads where trying to overclock the CPU resulted in the cpu clock dropping to 100MHz - changes in the Broadcom board support packages maybe?
may be, what is clear is that performance drop down drastically not only for navigation but also for the GUI and cpu was working at top level, so I changed the clock quickly to avoid further issues and didn't check the clock but it make sense to me if it dropped to 100Mhz as at least the performance was like this.