What's new

AC88U Problem with ports 5 through 8 losing connection after a while

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Soul--Reaver

Regular Contributor
I'm currently running Merlin firmware 380.63_2
The two LAN switches in the AC88U are working perfectly with this firmware

In 2018 and 2019 i tried the following firmwares from Merlin

RT-AC88U_380.69_2.zip
RT-AC88U_384.6_0.zip
RT-AC88U_384.7_2.zip
RT-AC88U_384.8_2.zip
RT-AC88U_384.9_0.zip
RT-AC88U_384.11_2.zip
RT-AC88U_384.13_0.zip
RT-AC88U_384.14_0.zip (last one available at the time)

After initially booting the router on those firmwares the switches work as expected. But after a certain amount of time (around a day) the ports 5 through 8 do not get IP addresses anymore. It was a smart TV connected to one of those ports so debugging was limited and did not spend a lot of time debugging it either. Just rebooted the router every once in a while

Eventually i thought lets go back to 380.63_2 as that one worked perfectly. Now I've been back running on 380.63_2 for 5-6 months and port 5-8 are working perfectly again.

Does anybody have a similar issue (i've seen other threads about problems with those ports and the AC88U but they were older firmwares then 380.63_2)?
Does anybody know if anything concerning ever got fixed by Asus (i suspect its not a Merlin issue but never tried Stock firmware)?

As far as I knew it does it on all firmwares and usually at an interval of a few weeks/months.
You are the first I’ve being able to reproduce it in a few days.
Maybe there is another factor and the fw you are on isn’t actually anything to do with it? If you repeat the tests and find that fw is indeed stable maybe there is Hope a fix can be found at last!
Tbh mine hasn’t done it in over a year (have kept it pretty up to date loading every other new version on average). However prior to that I have had times it has done it 2-3 times in an 8 week period. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Merlin 386.1 and i thought i was tearing my hair out as I get this as well

Hopefully 386.2 can do something with this.