What's new

Access DSL modem in bridge mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hady Elneklawy

Occasional Visitor
I have a question which is not really related to ASUS, but rather a networking question. I configured my Dlink DSL-2750U DSL modem/router in bridge mode connecting to the ASUS RT-AC87U, now i am trying to access the DSL modem but cannot, how can i do this?

Hady

On a UK BT Openreach HG612 you can do this by using a second Ethernet cable i.e: connect port 1 on the ASUS RT-AC87U <> next free port on your DSL-2750U.

Agree.
In bridge mode you cannot access to xDSL \ cable modem you're using. If this modem has another LAN port for maintenance purpose you can assign it an IP address of the same network of your router internal range, exclude it form DHCP range, and of course you have to use another network cable.

You can do it, but you may need to install AsusWRT-merlin. Some modems turn off the routing capabilities (like my Speedstream 4300), so there is no way to access it after bridging, but most modern modems keep the routing capabilities enabled.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/access-modem-configuration-page.11957/#post-74960

I use pfSense and accomplish the same thing. https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Accessing_modem_from_inside_firewall

Thanks a lot Nullity!! This actually worked from the first time!
I am still trying to create the script though, should the wan-start and nat-start script files be with no extension? just filename? I used VI to create them, but struggled as I am not familiar with Linux:(

I am still trying to create the script though, should the wan-start and nat-start script files be with no extension? just filename? I used VI to create them, but struggled as I am not familiar with Linux:(

Extensions in linux are only so you can keep track of the file-type, the OS does not actually make use of them like in Windows.

To make the file executable, you use "chmod +x FILENAME".

You can do it, but you may need to install AsusWRT-merlin. Some modems turn off the routing capabilities (like my Speedstream 4300), so there is no way to access it after bridging, but most modern modems keep the routing capabilities enabled.

just for info

if you set a different subnet for the bridged modem to that of the wireless router you should be able to access the modems gui from behind the router

eg

modems ip lan address 192.168.0.1

wireless routers lan ip address 192.168.1.1

with a device connected behind the wireless router you should be able to type 192.168.0.1 into your browser and access the bridged modems gui

why you would need to access is another question as all functionality of the bridged modem is bypassed and it only acts as a transparent bridge between the modem and the exchange

I was going to add - Pace/Arris/Moto typically will have a private web server on http://192.168.100.1 which may be enabled on some providers that offer the all-in-one Broadband Gateways (DLS and Cable at least)...

Not a given, but worth a try...

I have easy solution:
1. modem and router must set different subnet
2. modem DHCP must turn ON
3. turn modem wireless ON
then you access modem via wireless...

connect LAN-LAN with modem bridge is not a good idea, you may have some internet connection issue.

I have easy solution:
1. modem and router must set different subnet
2. modem DHCP must turn ON
3. turn modem wireless ON
then you access modem via wireless...

connect LAN-LAN with modem bridge is not a good idea, you may have some internet connection issue.

That is interesting.

I do not fully understand the method I use, but I do understand your method. It's a bit less efficient, but yeah... it is easier. :)

I guess the modem WiFi needs to be left on, because if you turn it off you now have no access. More WiFi interference is probably a bad thing.

Hady Elneklawy said:

to use script from access-modem-configuration-page.11957/#post-74960

unfamiliar with Linux, use WinSCP instead. Router must flash Merlin's firmware already.

step-by-step see attached file.

Attachments

• Access bridge modem with Asus Merlin firmware.pdf
    679.7 KB · Views: 2,615
I got a Draytek Vigor 130 modem in bridge mode with AC87u connected to it.Draytek dhcp is enabled and using different subnets (modem=192.168.2.1 , router=192.168.1.1) but seems impossible to log with Asus official wrt.I just wanna check line statistics,errors,sync speed etc.

to use script from access-modem-configuration-page.11957/#post-74960

unfamiliar with Linux, use WinSCP instead. Router must flash Merlin's firmware already.

step-by-step see attached file.

There is no WinSCP on OS X. Is there any easy way to add the script via Mac?

For the reference, I can only access my bridged modem if there is WAN connection up, if it is down, I can't access it. Will adding this script fix it?

I was using Tomato by Shibby for few weeks recently and on WAN setting page you can specify the IP of your bridge/modem. Even when WAN was down, I was able to access the bridge GUI and see what's going on, reboot it etc. It was super handy and worked without issues even on dual-WAN for both modems. Perhaps a feature request for Merlin?