What's new

Access /jffs/scripts/ through USB share on windows?

• Thread starter Deleted member 27741
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 27741

Hi, I would like to be able to access /jffs/scripts/ through my USB share connected to my N66U.

Currently, I have a symbolic link as such-

ln -s /jffs/scripts/ /tmp/mnt/usbext3/linked/

The folder "linked" exists in my N66U shared folders under network place(samba) share/cloud disk.

The symlink seems to work, because when I go to /tmp/mnt/usbext3/linked/scripts in putty, it redirects to /jffs/scripts. When I go to the /tmp/mnt/usbext3/linked folder in windows I see the scripts folder as expected, but cannot access it due to a permissions error. How can I get windows to access it?

Samba does not allow symlinks across filesystems, for security reasons. Otherwise, an attacker would be able to create a symlink on a share, and gain access to other sections of your router (this was an actual issue fixed by Asus about two years ago).

You will have to separately share the folder using a smb.conf.add or smb.postconf script.

Brilliant. It is mind boggling how much power and flexibility you have injected into this firmware. You should get paid a freakin' million dollars by Asus. Seriously.

I created the file smb.conf.add (I had no knowledge of how to do this but it was not hard using /etc/smb.conf as a template) in the /jffs/configs/ directory and it is working like a charm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant. It is mind boggling how much power and flexibility you have injected into this firmware. You should get paid a freakin' million dollars by Asus. Seriously.

Those custom config/scripts are very easy for me to implement now that the architecture is in place, and can let a power user do pretty much anything he'd want customization-wise. Adding support for any new custom config file is like only 3-5 lines of code for most cases, half copy-pasted.

winscp can see the /jffs files, because it uses ssh and works well with notepad++ (to force unix line endings), a good opensource solution!

The Samba technique might be a good solution for Mac owners that don't have access to WinSCP (as reported in another thread).

I have never tried winscp, but now is the time. Would it be a good replacement for filezilla?

I have never tried winscp, but now is the time. Would it be a good replacement for filezilla?
Personally I find FileZilla a more versatile and robust general purpose client. WinSCP is one of the very few tools that supports SCP, so if you just want to edit files on your router then it's probably more convenient than PuTTY or Samba/FTP.

2 cents

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!