What's new

Access point as VPN client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

VanRaiks

New Around Here
Dear all,

I have a case where there are 2 LANs that I would like to connect over internet via VPN. Each LAN has wired (and not wireless) router, that holds an internet connection. Idea was to put WiFi access point on LAN 1 that may act also as OpenVPN client. On LAN 2 I already have OpenVPN server and that hosts some 2 VPN connections already.

I've managed to put VPN version of DD-WRT firmware on one WiFi router and successfully made connection to OpenVPN server. So they are connected and stable.
Network.jpg

It is obvious, that I have to set some static routing rules on a router of first network (Gateway 1). Unfortunately I cannot figure out right settings. Current routing table of Gateway 1 is here.

RoutingTable.jpg

To create new static routing entry I have to fill fields:

Destination LAN IP:
Subnet Mask:
Default Gateway:
Hop Count: (1 to 15)
Interface: (Lan or Wan)

Any help?

This scenario is a really good use case for ipsec vpn tunnels and site-to-site tunnels. Then you don't have to worry about the access point being a client or a server since the routers handle the tunnel.