What's new

Access Point/Repeater for Ac68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SHAH

Occasional Visitor
I would like to extend the range of my master router which is Ac68u. What options do i have ? which router/access point should i get to pair it with my master router?

I will initially connect it in repeater mode if that does not suffice my needs then only i will make it access point ?

Please help.

If you are able to run a hard line (Ethernet or AC-Wireline) from your gateway to your AP that is preferable to any wireless connection because if speed and reliability (little or no RF interference). If this is an option, then a POE AP is the preferred solution. As I understand it, by definition: an AP is wired into the gateway.

If wiring in an AP is not an option then continue reading, then you must resort to a repeater or extender. You must decide if this device needs to accommodate wired devices or not.

If you are technically inclined: some routers can be configured to link with others: //www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers Each configuration has its pros / cons. Your objectives / requirements will prioritize configuration decision. I recently configured a DD-WRT AC68U Repeater-Bridge Repeater Bridge: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=980777

REPEATER-BRIDGE: accommodates WIRED and WIRELESS devices
Repeater_Bridge.jpg

Asus-Merlin had the ability to natively setup the AC68U as client bridge (wired devices only), but I needed a repeater bridge, which was not a Firmware option: therefore I used dd-wrt. To be fair, I did not investigate if the latest Merlin build had r-bridge capability.

CLIENT-BRIDGE: accommodates WIRED devices only (no wireless devices)
660px-Client_Bridge.jpg

Last edited:
i can run the wire thats not an issue. but the devices which will connect to it are all the wireless devices. if repeater suffice the need than i won't run the hard wire around it.

whats the cheapest option for me? get asus ac66u router ? or get some tp-link router ?

You do not want to run it in repeater mode. The wireless network of any device when (on the main and the repeater) a device is using the repeater will be halved.

Since you have the option to run a cable, do so. Then make sure to manually set the channels to different ones for the 2.4GHz band (1, 6 or 11) and the 5GHz band too (test each channel to see which gives the most throughput and least latency of the network for your devices and environment, yes, there is a lot to test in the 5GHz band and you do not need to skip any in your testing because they do not overlap like the 2.4GHz band channels do).

i can run the wire thats not an issue. but the devices which will connect to it are all the wireless devices. if repeater suffice the need than i won't run the hard wire around it.

whats the cheapest option for me? get asus ac66u router ? or get some tp-link router ?

Situations which beg to run a hard line from the gateway to an AP:
* Videos / high bandwidth at remote site
* You do not have experience linking routers via wireless and are non-technical
* There are many other Wifi APs in the area
* You own this property or plan to stay for 2+ years

IMHO, if you have the option & ability to run ethernet, then this is a 'no-brainer': install the ethernet. Let us know the results and bonus for posting any photos showing your success.

If you are running a Ethernet, then why not get a POE (power over Ethernet) access point, like the Ubiquiti or Meraki? This project should be completed for under $100

Last edited: