What's new

Access to my files remotely via VPN - ASUS RT-AC56U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

raven66

New Around Here
Hello everyone.

I have broadband connection with static IP. My objective is to access my *files* from anywhere in the world in a secure manner - through VPN. FILES, not actual computer through VNC/RDP/NX (this would be nice, but it's not essential).

I have NAS drive (Zyxel NSA325 v2), which I would like to use as a main file server. I'm NOT willing to subscribe to commercial VPN servers. Beside NAS, I have modem/router from my ISP (which is set as bridge, so it should be transparent) and one other router (TP Link Archer AC750).

I want to replace TP Link with new router which is capable to setup a VPN tunnel. I am thinking about ASUS RT-AC56U, which AFAIK can setup VPN server (OpenVPN) and also is able to be flashed with custom firmware.

So, is it a good choice and would I be able to setup VPN to my home network and access files from my NAS?