What's new

Accessing Bridged Modem GUI from PPPOE Router - A Different Way

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

irfan44

Occasional Visitor
I searched on various internet forums but there were only traditional ways of doing it which was a trade off for something but i wanted everything to work as it is.

I wanted to use my Asus AC3200 router to do all the NAT and stuff due to its fancy features but when i put it behind my ISP modem its main feature of DDNS doent work due to Double NAT. Tried DMZ in ISP modem also but no use.

SETTING UP BRIDGE ON ISP MODEM

I have an ISP modem (a cheap Tenda modem with customized ISP fw).
i tried to put ISP modem into bridge mode but there was no option for it in the WAN services section. So i tried something else. It has about 4 default WAN services running PPPOE, but only 1 was responsible for connecting it to the internet with a PPPOE username and Password but it had no option to disable NAT.
I deleted that PPPoe WAN service and deleted the related ATM service also.
Created a new ATM with my ISP's setting and there were options to put that ATM as PPPOE or Bridging, so i created it as a Bridge.
So the bridging problem solved and now i could use PPPOE on my AC3200 router to connect to ISP directly and use DDNS and everything.

THE PROBLEM

But here comes the PROBLEM for which this thread was created, The problem to access the ISP Modem's GUI in bridged mode as it turned off all NAT and DHCP on the modem.
I need to access the stats page on m y modem regularly as my phone line is normally troublesome and i need to check stats of SNR etc regularly.

THE SOLUTION - BY ACCIDENT

Now my Asus AC3200 was doing PPPOE and NAT.

ISP Modem is 192.168.10.1 (Wifi Off, Bridged, no PPPOE)
AC3200 is 192.168.1.1 ( Directly doing PPPOE and NAT)

1. Created another ATM in ISP modem with random entries.
2. Created another WAN service in ISP Modem with PPPOE using random Username and password and Turned ON NAT / DHCP on the above created ATM ( which obviously doesnt connect to ISP and Display AUTHENTICATION Failure). I can also Turn ON the WIFI on the Modem but its not required as its only coonected through Fake ATM / PPPOE and doesnt have internet access.

3. Now when i open Router Management on AC3200 it shows 2 WAN IPs ( i am not talking about Dual WAN here, Dual WAN is Turned OFF),

1st IP from PPPOE directly from ISP as 39.x.x.x
2nd IP from my bridged modem
on fake ATM/PPPOE DHCP as 192.168.10.2

The AC3200 doesnt have any documented feature of getting 2 IPs on WAN simultaneously but its showing two wan IPs with 2 different subnets and two different Gateways.

So PROBLEM SOLVED as the router passes all internet / normal traffic from clients to ISP's Public IP and only directs the 192.168.10.1 traffic to Bridged modem which runs a 2nd fake ATM with DHCP.