What's new

Accessing cable modem GUI on different subnet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

psy-q

Occasional Visitor
I've just hooked up cable from Teksavvy and want to be able to view the stats/logs from my cable modem. Can't get connected to it though.

RT-N66U (Shibby 128) router and Motorola SB6121 modem

My network is on 10.0.1.0/24 but the cable modem's interface is on 192.168.100.1
I was able to connect to the modem before it was fully setup and attached to the network, but can't anymore. Static routes and such have always been like magic and voodoo to me, so I'm not sure how to connect across subnets. I've tried just changing my IPv4 setting on my laptop to 192.168.100.0/24, but no dice.

Any tips?

Cable Operators have the ability to enable/disable the modem diagnostic pages from their end as part of the configuration file they download into the modem.

This is likely what has happened in your case - you can contact the operator and chat with their support staff..

I did know that some vendors do this (Merlin mentioned it in a post a while back). I'm almost 100% certain that Teksavvy in British Columbia (my location) does not. I base this on the logs and statistics that Teksavvy users post to their official forums.

When you changed the IP address of your laptop did you connect it directly to the modem? If not try changing the laptop IP again and connect directly to the modem and see if you can access the modem stats page. I assume when you said you changed the IP to 192.168.100.0/24 you were simply showing the network? If not make sure you don't use 0 as your last octet. Use something else like 192.168.100.5

Directly connected I used 192.168.100.2 with 192.168.100.1 as the gateway. It worked before everything got hooked up.

I know it seems like the interface is disabled, but hypothetically lets assume it's not so at least my test methodology is correct or can improve. I'd really love to be able to connect over the network rather than directly. My network equipment is not convenient to get to.

I'd really love to be able to connect over the network rather than directly. My network equipment is not convenient to get to.
On a Cisco router running IOS 15, I just do:
Code:
ip route 192.168.100.1 255.255.255.255 GigabitEthernet0/1 dhcp
The Gi0/1 interface is set up in the standard manner to get a DHCP assignment from the cable company. Here's the whole interface config (including a lot of stuff not relevant to this discussion):
Code:
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
description Ethernet to Comcast cable modem
ip address dhcp
ip nat outside
ip virtual-reassembly in
duplex auto
speed auto
media-type rj45
ipv6 address dhcp
ipv6 enable
ipv6 nd autoconfig default-route