What's new

Accessing cable modem through router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kjthrow

New Around Here
I can normally access 192.168.100.1 cable modem through my router fine when the internet is up (presumably routed to the CMTS and back to the cable modem?)

That is nice and all until the internet goes down (and therefore I no longer have an IP from my isp) and so 192.168.100.1 quits working, which becomes a problem if I want to log in to that to figure out why it disconnected.

How would one get around this problem to access 192.168.100.1 while I don't have an IP from my ISP?

Check that "Enable WAN down browser redirect notice" is set to No on the Administration > System page.

That's all I've ever needed to do. Even when the internet was unavailable the router still had a WAN IP address, either the one it had before or a temporary one assigned by the cable modem. If that's not the case for you you'll have to change the router WAN connection type to Static and give it an IP address and subnet mask, e.g. 192.168.100.10/255.255.255.0.

Thanks I'll try out setting a static IP next time.

I usually get the "Your ISP's DHCP server isn't functioning correctly" message when the Internet dies out which leads to having no route to 192.168.100.1 I presume