What's new

Accessing NAS via router PPTP VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ckchow2005

New Around Here
Hi all,
I am using 220.18b on my N66u.
At home, I can access my NAS (samba) via router like a drive. I can FTP fine... I tried to access my NAS same way by connecting my N66u via VPN PPTP. The PPTP connection works which I can access webpage, GUI (192.168.1.1) and my USB HDD (smb://192.168.1.1), but can't access my NAS (192.168.1.168) the same way as the USB HDD....
Is there something i need to set? or redirect that....

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi all,
At home, I can access my NAS (samba) via router like a drive. I can FTP fine... I tried to access my NAS same way by connecting my N66u via VPN PPTP. The PPTP connection works which I can access webpage, GUI (192.168.1.1) and my USB HDD (smb://192.168.1.1), but can't access my NAS (192.168.1.168) the same way as the USB HDD....

Thanks in advance

I suspect you are using the default VPN IP range of 192.168.10.0, which isn't routed by default to the LAN IP range of 192.168.1.0.
Make sure that either:

a) You setup your VPN client to use IPs within the same network as your LAN (192.168.1.0 if using the default LAN IP range)

or:

b) You manually create a static route on your VPN client to route the 192.168.1.0 network through the 192.168.10.0 VPN network

or:

c) Configure the client's PPTP settings to use the remote address as default gateway (which will also cause all your VPN client's Internet traffic to go through the VPN tunnel, not always a good idea)

or:

d) Use OpeNVPN, which will automatically setup routes on the client

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

I may have a similar problem; have a Netgear ReadyNAS behind an Asus RT-N66U in my office. When working locally in the office with the NAS, local laptop, internet, printer etc everything works fine. Connecting from home to the office using the VPN PPTP server in the N66U also works fine. That is until I try to access the NAS, then the VPN connection is dropped almost immediately. Same result if I access the NAS using Windows explorer or its web-interface, essentially I can not use the NAS at all through the VPN. However, I can access the printer and another laptop through the VPN without any problem. I am running Windows 7 on both home and office laptops. DHCP range of RT-N66 set to 192.168.1.2 - 199, VPN range set to 192.168.1.200 - 209.

Connecting from home to the office using the VPN PPTP server in the N66U also works fine. That is until I try to access the NAS, then the VPN connection is dropped almost immediately.

If you are using the original firmware then this is a known issue (VPN access with GRO enabled causes the router to reboot). That issue is fixed in my firmware. An alternative is to not plug any USB disk to your router, in which case GRO won't get enabled either.

If you are using the original firmware then this is a known issue (VPN access with GRO enabled causes the router to reboot). That issue is fixed in my firmware. An alternative is to not plug any USB disk to your router, in which case GRO won't get enabled either.

Thanks RMerlin, you are correct, I am using the original firmware, also I have a USB disk connected. However, it's part of the 3G modem I use since that was lower cost than a wired connection, so I can't unplug it. Will try your firmware...

...Downloaded 220.18b, installed, up and running as usual + no problem accessing NAS through PPTP.
RMerlin: You Rock!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Regarding RMerlin's first reply, i really only have the a) and b) options available to me. Neither seems to work for me.
"a) You setup your VPN client to use IPs within the same network as your LAN (192.168.1.0 if using the default LAN IP range)"
I tried to do this by manually setting an IP address for the lan network at the server end in the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" item in the Networking tab of my VPN client shortcut. When i try to connect to the vpn server it just hangs.
or:

"b) You manually create a static route on your VPN client to route the 192.168.1.0 network through the 192.168.10.0 VPN network"
No idea how to do this. Can you provide any advice? (Isn't this what Enabling Nat-Passthrough is supposed to do?)

Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!