What's new

Actiontec ECB6200 loss / filtering?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jea101

Regular Contributor
What is the insertion loss between coax in and TV/STB out?

Doe it block (filter) MOCA on the TV/STB out port?

I don’t know the specific attenuation value but MoCA devices shouldn’t be connected off that port (TV/STB Out).

From the user manual:

LAN Connections
Coax In Frequency Range - Extended D-band: 1125MHz ~ 1675MHz;
 Full Port Range: 5MHz ~ 2150MHz
TV/STB Out Frequency Range - 5MHz ~ 1002MHz

I believe a diplexer is used, effectively, so the attenuation is likely 40+ dB.

It appears that I wasn’t clear in what I was asking.

I want to know the signal reduction/loss (if any) for TV and cable modem signals that pass through the 6200.

Separately I want to know if the 6200 prevents MOCA from appearing at the TV out port which may cause interference with my Cisco STA1520 tuning adapters. The TV/STB out 5 to 1002 MHz range does imply that it is filtered.

I haven't seen any specs that detail the ECB6200 losses (may require emailing Actiontec), but going with typical diplexer specs, you should expect:

~1 dB loss for pass-band frequencies
40+ dB loss for stop-band frequencies

For the TV/STB Out port:
* pass-band = 5-1002 MHz
* stop-band = frequencies above 1002 MHz​

So a cable signal would see approx. 1 dB loss between the ECB6200 adapter's Coax In port and its TV/STB Out port, while MoCA signals would be hit with 40+ dB attenuation.

As for your SDV Tuning Adapter, it would ideally be connected via the TV/STB Out port of the ECB6200, owing to (1) the minimal loss for cable frequencies passing between the Coax In and TV/STB ports, and that (2) connecting the TA via this port would protect it from MoCA signals, which can be problematic for some TA models.

Last edited: