What's new

Actiontec MI424WR + ECB2500 Coax Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MarkL

New Around Here
I have internet coming via Ethernet cable to my apartment from my internet service provider (ISP). Their fiber-optic ONT box is on the top floor of the building, so they bring Ethernet cable with internet signal to my flat. Inside my apartment I have existing Coax wiring. Since I don't want new Ethernet wiring inside the apartment, I am trying to use existing Coax wiring for that purpose.

I purchased 2 Actiontec ECB2500 Coax to Ethernet adapters and they work fine when connected via a Coax cable in a bridge set up. I connected the first Actiontec ECB2500 to the ISP’s Ethernet cable, then connected the second Actiontec ECB2500 to the first Actiontec ECB2500 via a Coax cable, and connected my computer (PC) via an Ethernet cable to the second Actiontec ECB2500. So, their connection looks like this:

1) ISP - Ethernet Cable - Actiontec ECB2500 - Coax Cable - Actiontec ECB 2500 – Ethernet Cable - PC

I also purchased Actiontec MI424WR router, which can receive internet signal via Ethernet or Coax WAN port. If Ethernet WAN port is used my connection to the internet looks like this:

2) ISP - Ethernet Cable - Actiontec ECB2500 - Coax Cable - Actiontec ECB 2500 – Ethernet Cable – Actiontec MI424WR – Ethernet Cable or Wi-Fi - PC

I tried this connection and it works fine. Internet signal flows through the bridge of 2 Actiontec ECB2500 adapters into Ethernet WAN port of Actiontec MI424WR, which assigns local IP addresses to the devices connected to its Ethernet LAN ports or Wi-Fi ports. In this case the Ethernet WAN port goes green and the system works correctly.

However, this connection uses 2 Actiontec ECB2500 adapters. Since, Actiontec MI424WR router has Coax WAN port, I wonder if I can remove the second Actiontec ECB2500 adapter in the scheme above and connect the first Actiontec ECB2500 adapter directly to Actiontec MI424WR router Coax WAN port via a Coax cable. So, the connection would look like this:

3) ISP - Ethernet Cable - Actiontec ECB2500 - Coax Cable - Actiontec MI424WR – Ethernet Cable or Wi-Fi – PC

I tried this connection, however Actiontec MI424WR works in this case similar to the second Actiontec ECB2500 adapter, i.e. it is bridging with the first Actiontec ECB2500 adapter and passes through internet signal to my computer. It does not work as router in this case and does not assign local network IP addresses. Wi-Fi connection in this case does not work either. Instead of Coax WAN, Coax LAN signal on Actiontec MI424WR turns green.

One may suggest that I change places between the first ECB2500 and MI424WR, such that MI424WR would be the first device receiving internet from ISP and it would then distribute signal as a router via Ethernet, Wi-Fi and Coax LAN ports. Please note that such setup would not be suitable, since the room where ISP Ethernet cable is coming is remote and it will not allow me to use the router’s Wi-Fi.

Does anyone know how to setup devices, so that they would work as shown in schematic No. 3? I think the problem is caused by the network setup in either ECB2500 or MI424WR. Does anyone know how to change the settings in either of these devices to allow connection via coax of ECB2500 and MI424WR, such that MI424WR would work as a router (not as a bridge) on the receiving end as shown in schematic No. 3.