What's new

Ad blocking in _53?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zekesdad

Regular Contributor
Im using the AC68 but I don't see where the settings are for this in the firmware (the one that has been added according to the changelog). What am I missing?

AiProtection => Ad Blocking => "Streaming Ad Blocking" and "Pop-Up window Ad Blocking"

This setting does not appear in my RT-N66U

This setting does not appear in my RT-N66U

because

• Experimental ad blocker based on Trend Micro's Web Reputation System (a component of AiProtection). This feature developed by Asus was never finished or enabled in the official firmware for various reasons. I decided to enable it in this build as an experimental feature. Note that this won't be as effective nor as flexible as dedicated solutions such as AdBlock. You cannot whitelist or blacklist any URLs, for instance. This feature is only available on the DPI-enabled models (AC56/AC68/AC87/AC3200).

Thanks, I didn't realize that.

Appreciated,
Anton

because

• Experimental ad blocker based on Trend Micro's Web Reputation System (a component of AiProtection). This feature developed by Asus was never finished or enabled in the official firmware for various reasons. I decided to enable it in this build as an experimental feature. Note that this won't be as effective nor as flexible as dedicated solutions such as AdBlock. You cannot whitelist or blacklist any URLs, for instance. This feature is only available on the DPI-enabled models (AC56/AC68/AC87/AC3200).
So it's not enable on RT N16 fork neither ? :(

So it's not enable on RT N16 fork neither ? :(
Correct. The ad blocker feature is available on the DPI-enabled models only (specifically: the AC56, the AC68, the AC87 & the AC3200).

I highly doubt it, but is there a way to update the experimental adblock's list?

Like it would be cool to be able to add Adblock Plus subscriptions somehow, without the need to connect to a remote server for updates or using a proxy server.

Do you think by hosts file i could block parental websites ? I never found a good one.

I highly doubt it, but is there a way to update the experimental adblock's list?

Like it would be cool to be able to add Adblock Plus subscriptions somehow, without the need to connect to a remote server for updates or using a proxy server.

AdBlocker uses Trend Micro's Web Reputation Services, and there's nothing that can be changed about it.

Experimented with Trend Micro ad block for a few days. From my test on a gadget, Combined hosts file and Privoxy with Adblock Plus filters are more effective. I don't see additional benefit from the Trend Micro.

Given that said for users not having one or both of the two custom approaches, Trend Micro is a huge addition and should turn it on.

Is this done localy by the router it self or is all trafic redirected to a DNS first then back home?

Is this done localy by the router it self or is all trafic redirected to a DNS first then back home?

The DPI engine does a lookup online against Trend Micro's database when the connection attempt is made, and will either drop the connection, or redirect to a block page in the router. No idea on the details of the implementation, that's inside the closed source code.

In any case, it's not DNS-based.