What's new

ADBlock on Asus Merlin build 378.55_0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

corey M

New Around Here
Is there a way to implement 'ALL-U-NEED Ad Blocking' or other similar scripts. I would like to enable ad blocking on my RT-AC66U. The only way i could really find was to put Tomato USB on it and then use the startup scrips. Ideally it would be really nice to have a Menu on the Firmware screen for this.

Have you read the numerous other threads on this forum about ad blocking? Or do you have some specific requirement that hasn't already been discussed?

Yes i have an I have the one of them in use right now. But it does not seem to work as good as 'ALL-U-NEED Ad Blocking' or even adblock extension on chrome.
I used to use Dansgaurdian for my adblocking that worked great! I really like the fact that you could replace the adds with a custom image on the page. Thats ideally what i would like todo.

Also the one that i am using currently just looks for known ad domains. I am looking for a more pro-active blocking. for instance DansGaurdian would look at tall the file names coming across and use expression filtering. so if it seen ad-*.* then it would block that. There was more to it then that. I just think what is out there for this firmware is not that strong or smart unless i had missed one.. If you know of a better one that would be great! One think i would love to see would be an interface on the GUI to add and remove white/black list.

As you say, most of the ad blockers here are just simple lists of blocked domain names. I think there is a post that uses Adblock Plus lists and pixelserv. Is that any good?

Ad blocking at the firewall level will never be as efficient as blocking at the browser level through an add-on. To be effective, you need the context and access to the actual HTML rendering engine, both to be able to modify that content, and to know its context (i.e. what website is causing a specific ad to load). This is something only achievable in the browser.

Depending on your internet speed you might find privoxy slows things down a lot, but easy to apply for specific devices and to toggle on/off. It will also not work for https ...

The closest script dns poisoning solution round here to the Tomato one is
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/adblocking-with-combined-hosts-file.15309/

I'm not sure either use pixelserv, but the one compiled for Tomato works fine for me on N66, in association with a simple domain list linked from custom dnsmasq.conf

Code:
/mnt/usb4gb/pixelserv version: V35.HZ11FIX2 compiled: Nov 29 2014 13:32:49 options: 192.168.66.254 -p 80 -p 81 -p 8080 -p 8081 -p 443 -o 2
4019579 uts, 211122 req, 3009 avg, 86797 rmx, 2551 tav, 4554 tmx, 0 err, 26961 tmo, 1711 cls, 0 nou, 0 pth, 7736 nfe, 4552 ufe, 478 gif, 8 bad, 25030 txt, 4 jpg, 28 png, 32 swf, 20 ico, 138420 ssl, 3 sta, 1 stt, 0 204, 5499 rdr, 639 pst, 0 hed

I just think what is out there for this firmware is not that strong or smart unless i had missed one

Depends on which threads you landed. Information is scattered in a couple of places. Good or not is more in the eyes of the beholder :)

The ideas are basically the same and dated back almost a decade from my research. On asuswrt-merlin, you could have
  • dnsmasq with domain-level block; and plus
  • pixelserv (or lighttpd if you prefer custom image); and plus
  • privoxy with Adblock Plus filters
in descending order of diminishing return. Such a setup would be as good as all alternatives people claim better IMO.

If you decide to run Privoxy, better use a PC (I think same applies for DansGuardians). On an Asus with 1.4GHz ARM A9, delay in page loads is still observable. I'm no longer running Privoxy. The only additional benefit I saw is occasionally tidying up page layout on phones and tablets. That I can comfortably live without. On PC browsers, I still run Adblock Plus which now has extremely light workload.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!