What's new

Adding a switch in between router and access point ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mxr695

New Around Here
As the title states I am considering adding a unmanaged switch in between my ac3100 and my AP ac68u on the switch will be my Plex server and my personal computer consuming a total of 3 lan ports .
Internet is gig cable
All of my wire is Cat6 my run to my AP is about 50 feet. My total network has about 40 devices 8 hardwired devices the rest is wireless. This is for my home it's a multi unit home I share my network with the other unit.

Will adding the switch in between the router and the access point degrade the access point ? I've never done it this way only ever added switches to the routers or AP never inserted a switch that was feeding a access point .

That should be no problem. Of course the link between the switch and the router will create a bottleneck of 1Gb (assuming you're using a gigabit switch) but I doubt that will be an issue.

Thank you and Yes it will be a gigabit switch . Also I forgot to add any opinions on any unmanaged switches , I've been using trendnet unmanaged switches . My current one is solid for years now , but looking at other brands any opinions, not trying to get crazy just looking for solid long lasting unmanaged gigabit switch .

I haven't bought an unmanaged switch for a long time. If I did so now I'd probably buy something like the Netgear GS308 or a TP-Link equivalent. More or less anything other than a D-Link.

I have two of them a Netgear and a D-Link both are very inexpensive and work excellent for what they do. You really should not have any problems. Good luck !!

Should be fine, although for you are putting another L2 broadcast point between your AP and your core switch. If you could somehow wire your remote AP direct to your router's switch, that may be slightly more optimal, but it will still probably work as well the way you're planning. Regarding switch brands, any should work for just an unmanaged backplane, although I am still partial to US-based business-class stuff, even for unmanaged (HPE, Cisco, etc.).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!