What's new

Adding my router before my work computer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

katana13

Occasional Visitor
I'm normally good at searching and following guides etc but I don't even know the name of what I'm trying to do here. I would like to setup my Tomato shibby WRT160NV3 in between my work pc and lan port. so that I can setup my wifi network.

I cloned my MAC address of the work pc, set same IP range and the router/wifi works swimmingly. However, I can't access internal work sites from the work pc when I hook up the cable from the router. I thought it was DMZ but it's not working and can't set router to show same default gateway or connection-specific dns suffix as the original connection straight from the wall?

What is this called that I'm trying to do? I obviously don't have any tech support from work as they don't want deal with any issues I have or will have in the future.

I'm normally good at searching and following guides etc but I don't even know the name of what I'm trying to do here. I would like to setup my Tomato shibby WRT160NV3 in between my work pc and lan port. so that I can setup my wifi network.

Check with your IT folks first - or the next step might be updating the resume/CV :)

You have your home network, and you want to connect to your work network?

Typically, you would have a work provided VPN client on your laptop, for work, that you use to connect to your works IP Space / Services.

What is this called that I'm trying to do?

you are trying to circumnavigate the companies user policy and code of conduct and possibly getting your self fired as unless you are specifically given permission to do such you are creating a big security issue and potential issues for the whole work network

Last edited:
What is the goal? If as Pete Y Testing said, yeah very bad idea. Not the way to get noticed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!