What's new

AddOn Development Request - Dashboard views

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've installed it straight out of entware (opkg install netdata) on ARM and AARCH and use it periodically.

The challenge is going to be if one tries to put it inside a Asus GUI wrapper, because it opens its own GUI (routerip:19999), or getting back to the Asus GUI from the standalone Netdata GUI.

What did the implementation encompass with AB-Solution?
Just the installation/uninstall and the option to turn it off.
As the standard installation makes it public from within the LAN, I plan on changing that to a user page that is available only when logged into the router.

Just the installation/uninstall and the option to turn it off.
As the standard installation makes it public from within the LAN, I plan on changing that to a user page that is available only when logged into the router.

Understood. I too have a script that starts and stops it (Netdata) so it's not always running in the background, even though it seems to use few resources when not in "play".

Regarding running it when logged in: curious as to your thoughts on that. Since it's all "read only" (as far as I recall there are no changes made to any part of the system by Netdata), why not just an "open in new window" (or new tab) approach? In other words, add a menu item to the Asus GUI that pops the Netdata GUI in a new window or tab? Granted, the Netdata window would stay open after the Asus UI timed out, but some of the Asus pages stay open perpetually anyway (AI mesh, logs).

I took a quick look at Netdata GUI and don't see a way to "return" to the Asus GUI, but at least if the Netdata GUI was opened in a new tab or window, a user could simply close the Netdata tab or window to return to the Asus GUI. Not elegant, but doable out of the box.

Along the same lines, but from a CLI perspective, I'd like to see btop for our devices. I use it on my laptop and find the display of system status to be compelling. It's a bit more "UI-like" than top or htop . But it requires some "porting" from Linux since it's not in the entware repository.

1714649944180.png

Last edited:
Along the same lines, but from a CLI perspective, I'd like to see btop for our devices. I use it on my laptop and find the display of system status to be compelling. It's a bit more "UI-like" than top or htop . But it requires some "porting" from Linux since it's not in the entware repository.

View attachment 58400
Ask the Entware developers by putting a request in on their GitHub page. The Battery could be a challenge. Perhaps the voltage of the power supply?
My AlmaLinux box shows nothing there, obviously. And I'm not sure one could use the mouse to click on things.

Ask the Entware developers by putting a request in on their GitHub page. The Battery could be a challenge. Perhaps the voltage of the power supply?
My AlmaLinux box shows nothing there, obviously. And I'm not sure one could use the mouse to click on things.

Good idea. AFAIK btop navigation is all keyboard (TBH until you said mousing, I'd never even tried it, but I just did. Alas, no.).

EDIT: done. Happy to have others support for this Entware enhancement. Request is here: https://github.com/Entware/Entware/issues/1042

Last edited:
Regarding running it when logged in: curious as to your thoughts on that. Since it's all "read only" (as far as I recall there are no changes made to any part of the system by Netdata), why not just an "open in new window" (or new tab) approach? In other words, add a menu item to the Asus GUI that pops the Netdata GUI in a new window or tab? Granted, the Netdata window would stay open after the Asus UI timed out, but some of the Asus pages stay open perpetually anyway (AI mesh, logs).
For some this is sensitive data. One would not publish read-only bank data...

For some this is sensitive data. One would not publish read-only bank data...
I'm clearly not remembering all the data that netdata displays. After work hours, I'll need to poke around and refresh myself.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!