What's new

Adice? Super Range Travel or Small Wireless Router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anotherusername

Occasional Visitor
Hello- Love this site! Well done.

Any advice for a router that is really small, but has super range performance (I know, its a big ask)? Here are the 3 greatest priorities:

1. Great range/portability. The stronger the better!
2. Portability. I need to buy 10 of these things and they are being loaded into a case where real estate is a concern. Even a power brick takes up a lot of room when you have 10 power bricks + 10 routers :)
3. (low concern: Throughput performance. These little routers aren't being connected to the internet. They are being used for 18kb text file transfer from 12 connected laptops. Really low network load.

I only have N at 2.4Ghz laptops connecting.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Since you are not connecting to the internet what about a small switch and 10 wireless APs. If you use POE in the switch it would save you hauling 10 power supplies around.

Hello- Thanks for the quick reply and this isn't a bad idea. I should have been more clear... all the equipment is in the same room... very very very large ballrooms inside of hotels. I need the signal strength because its a very large ballroom and I'm fighting a lot of other wireless noise.

Thx!

Connecting only 12 laptops should not require 10 wireless devices. Do you really need 10 wireless devices?

If you arranged the laptops in a circle back to back in the center you could use wire and not carry wireless devices at all.

OMG!!! Sleep deprivation! Wow! I have absolutely no idea why I wrote I need 10 routers and AC supplies. That is so totally not the case. :confused:

I need 1 router/ap where 12 laptops can connect wirelessly to share some basic text files back and forth. They can't be connected via cables. But I do have somewhat limited space in the computer case and range power is pretty important.

Sorry about the 10 device thing. I have a newborn and am totally lacking sleep. Thx!