What's new

advice for 3 compact floors + unusual wiring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mcb

New Around Here
My condo unit has three levels: loft, main floor, and bedrooms below. Total area is just over 1000 square feet.

My small building (8 units) recently converted to Webpass with 1 Gbit fiber to our garage. This service uses ethernet over the existing in-wall wiring to get to the units. For my building, the wiring is CAT3. My unit was originally wired for two phone lines. Initially, I used one line for DSL and the other for a landline phone - remember those?

To maximize my bandwidth, I asked the Webpass installer to use both lines for my ethernet connection. The phone lines were daisy-chained from outlet to outlet. Initially, the connection was just stuffed into the phone jack box, but this caused some signal degradation. Two of the boxes were daisy-chained externally.

My ASUS AC68P currently lives on the top floor in my office. I get 940 Mbps up and down with this configuration. However, the 5 GHz signal is not dependable with some devices on the lower floors and the 2.4 GHz signal could be better on the bottom floor.

One possible improvement would be to wall-mount a wifi router on the main floor to reduce connection distances. Then connect the office equipment to a wired router as a sub-net off the wifi router. Does this make sense? Is there a better solution? I can live with the existing situation so a solution available in the near-future is acceptable.

TIA.

Last edited:
@mcb
it depends on your budged and what speed you like to keep on the lower floors
if the only problem is the mobile phones on the lower floor , then just put a wifi repeater on the main floor
so you can repeat the signal of the 5ghz and spread it to the lower floor

it will give a boost in connection , but it wont give a speed boost ( repeating -> 50% of network speed loss )
or you could use a powerline adapter (devolo seems great in some tests ) to connect a repeater to the main floor ( plugin first powerline to top , then second on main and connect a repeater to the powerline )
on that way you can still get the full speed of the repeater as it is just a adhoc client then (sending wirless signal and connected to cable xD )

but it all depends what budget you like to spend on it ofcourse

Greets From PowerChaos

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!