What's new

Advice for best upgrade of rtn66u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gdubc

New Around Here
Hello everyone. I feel as the wifi in my bedroom could be better. I have an Asus rtn66u downstairs and it does pretty good everywhere except the upstairs corner bedroom. I am looking at maybe adding another router and using the rtn66u in repeater mode in the bedroom. If I am to do this, should I be looking at a newer model router, or will just adding a second rtn66u be just as good? Thanks to all for helping a forum noob out!

Gdubc

I would not recommend adding a second RT-N66U as an AP unless you can find one less than $50 or so.

An RT-AC68U or higher will provide significant improvement over the good but now old 'N66U.

Before purchasing a new router though, can you test different antennae positions and better yet, router location(s)? Are you willing to use john's fork or hggomes fork which are both based on RMerlin's fork of the Asus stock firmware? Between adjusting the location and antennae orientation relative to the upstairs corner bedroom and the firmware suggested above (hggomes fork offers the full Tx power on tap), this may be all you need for your setup.

What device(s) are you using in that far location? A handheld tablet / phone will see little improvement vs. a laptop, for example.

I tried moving the router around and I currently have it in the best location for the room it is in. I have it hardwired to devices in the living room, so I am somewhat limited there. The best deal I could find for another 66u was around $100, so maybe it is time to try the other firmware versions you suggested. My problem is annoying, but not enough so that I want to go spending $200, ya know?!?

I have a ps3, ps4 and pc all in bedroom using wifi. The wifi adapters that sony uses in their consoles seem pretty crappy. If I was to end up getting a newer AC model router, could I still use the N66u as a bridge/repeater and hard wire the upstairs devices to it?

... If I was to end up getting a newer AC model router, could I still use the N66u as a bridge/repeater and hard wire the upstairs devices to it?

I picked up an RT-N56U on ebay for $40. I use it upstairs to extend the RT-N66U I use on the front end. Works well running factory firmware.
As for increasing router RF power, if you aren't able to make a similar adjustment on the client end, you are primarily adding heat and RF interference. Yes, the clients will hear the router better but most wifi adapters have crappy little antennae and limited output power so the router can't hear them any better.
If you are hot to drop the $$$ to jump on an AC router, the AC68 seems to be a good choice and the n66 will do the job upstairs nicely.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!