What's new

Advice for connecting a shop (metal ext)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TerryB

New Around Here
I'm might go all over the place with this post so please bear with me. I have very little networking experience save putting in a wifi router. I was hoping to get some advice. I have a large shop (metal ext) about 200ft from my house. WiFi won't penetrate shop walls and powerline adapters didn't work so I was thinking of running Cat5/6 or coax. Primary goal is 1 connection in the shop for a PC (that I can occasionally switch with an XBox for updates). Secondary goal would be to have a wireless router so I can connect multiple devices.
My current network is very basic: Comcast Xfinity service --> Motorola Surfboard SB6121 Modem --> Linksys E2000 Wireless router

Is this a good MoCA candidate?
If so, what kind of equipment would I need?
Where would I split connection to get network in shop?

If not and Cat5 is the better option, could I just run from my Linksys? That seems like it's too simple.
If I run Cat5/6, what kind of equipment would I need to term the connection in the shop?

If you run Cat5e or higher, all you need at the other end is an inexpensive switch to connect it to. This switch will then connect anything else you want in the shop including an AP for wireless connectivity.

The biggest issues you will face though are voltage delta's between the two buildings that must be taken care of properly (hire a professional), using the proper type of outdoor (buried) cable in the installation and of course, the installation itself (the trench between the two buildings).

Using optical fibre cable instead between the two buildings will mitigate a lot of the issues above, even if it is more expensive vs. simple Cat5e cable, it may be worth it in the long run.

I looked into outdoor Cat5 a while back since it seemed simple enough to go from existing Linksys to shop. But then I got caught on how to term since it would essentially need to be split/bridged (I think that's right). I was concerned how IP would get assigned. I guess that's what the switch does? Not sure what you mean about voltage deltas.

I hadn't considered fiber but that's definitely worth some research time.

Either way though, am I looking at just using a port on my existing Linksys router as source? Or is there something else I should use?

Thanks for quick reply.

Yes, just use a port on your existing router and connect that on the other end to a switch.

The difference in ground voltage between the two buildings is something you have to take into consideration when connecting them together (with the LAN cable, in this instance).

Fibre is optical, so the voltage delta is not an issue to begin with.

Yes, just use a port on your existing router and connect that on the other end to a switch.

The difference in ground voltage between the two buildings is something you have to take into consideration when connecting them together (with the LAN cable, in this instance).

Fibre is optical, so the voltage delta is not an issue to begin with.
I disagree - IEEE 802.3 (ethernet) is differential and has no "ground" signal. That was a basic design way back, to preclude ground loop currents. It's why 802.3/Ethernet has its magnetics in the NIC ... this is the isolation transformer.

so I was thinking of running Cat5/6 or coax

Well, if you run Coax, you can get basic cable TV and internet with MoCA and a couple of filters... with a 200 ft run, you might need an amp on the house side ;)

Kind of at the limit of ethernet as well - wireless bridge, maybe, but it's not gonna be fast, and could impact WiFi inside the house because of the time delay..

Anyways, if you're going to trench or hang cable/coax, before you hook things up, have a qualified electrician check things for ground potential differences - esp if the shop and house are on different panels (most shops in my experience are)

Reddy Kilowatt can bite you there :)