What's new

Advice needed on how to go about cheap home 10GBE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you think small 10GBE home devices should be available and affordable now for consumers?

• Total voters
The freescale reference board looks interesting, Where can it be bought from and how much?. Another thing interesting about speeds between 1G and 10G is that usb3 is 5G which will comfortably support a 2.5G full duplex NIC. The ASUS AC5300 may claim 5Gb/s of wifi throughput but practically i would expect at most 2Gb/s which would require some LAGG so if they're going to release it with the usual 4 switched gigabit ethernet ports and 1 gigabit ethernet WAN it will be a very dumb thing to do if it is marketed as a router instead of AP since there isnt enough ports to properly utilise it.

My best guess - based on previous experience - you can't just buy the reference board - normally they're part of an OEM agreement with a BSP (low level) and SDK (suitable for production with a basic skinable UI) for SW, and BOM/Gerbers so that one can build more...

Sometimes you can find them... even if this were available, it's likely thru a specific reseller, and my best guess is that it would be between 1000 to 1500 dollars...

The mikrotik CCR1036 can already do 10Gb/s NAT easily or 20Gb/s NAT if you include full duplex SFP+. It has 2 SFP+ slots so you need a switch with SFP+ to distribute to the 1G ethernet that many devices use and the many wireless AC APs that you may have. Although SFP+ fibre optic module may cost money but it will still be about the same price as a 10G fibre optic modem and SFP+ to SFP+ direct is very cheap. The CCR1036 now costs less than $1000 so saying that it cost thousands for that much throughput is false. The CRS226 with 2 SFP+ ports cost around $300 and than the rest just depends on whether you want your PCs using 10G or multiple gigabit ethernet ports.

The freescale reference board looks interesting, Where can it be bought from and how much?. Another thing interesting about speeds between 1G and 10G is that usb3 is 5G which will comfortably support a 2.5G full duplex NIC. The ASUS AC5300 may claim 5Gb/s of wifi throughput but practically i would expect at most 2Gb/s which would require some LAGG so if they're going to release it with the usual 4 switched gigabit ethernet ports and 1 gigabit ethernet WAN it will be a very dumb thing to do if it is marketed as a router instead of AP since there isnt enough ports to properly utilise it.

Its a switch with a 400mhz MIPS CPU and a hard to configure switch. But it will connect at 10Gb/s. I have a CRS 226 with 2 SFP+
Hello,
I saw you recommending the CRS 226 alot so I thought I would reach out and ask about this.
Is there somewhere I can get a basic config? I am really just looking for basic switching. Currently no VLANs on my network.

Hello,
I saw you recommending the CRS 226 alot so I thought I would reach out and ask about this.
Is there somewhere I can get a basic config? I am really just looking for basic switching. Currently no VLANs on my network.
I dont recommend the 226 alot, i use it as an example. The main thing about routerOS is the high learning curve for many that even i still dont fully understand all the configurations and terminologies it uses. If it is just basic switching than it comes preconfigured for that. Basic switching is configured by having 1 port designated as the master port and all other ports slaved to it which you do in the interface section. VLANs can be done either by CPU (slower) or using the switch chip which it has a tab for it in the switch section