What's new

Advice needed on new AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ThatITGuy

New Around Here
I already have a wired router ( Mikrotik hEX RB750Gr3) and I had been using an old consumer router in bridge mode as the wireless access point for the family. That router is starting to hang as well as its existing difficulties reaching the far corners of the house. I want to get a new AP to replace this old router. Would I be better served to purchase a wireless router and put it into bridge mode or does actually buying an AP make more sense?
Here is an idea of what I am looking for:
1) AC would be nice, but I do not need dual band/5ghz spectrum, as I already have another router / AP that is servicing the 5 ghz spectrum (but that i keep segmented from the "family" network).
2) Something under $100, but lower is obviously preferable
3) i want something that has decent performance/throughput as well as good range. The AP will be centralized in the basement (yes, i know... but that is where my office is located, as well as the "data closet") and will need to reach to the second floor of the house.
4) I want something with good stability. The less whiny kids calling me at work because their Instagram or Snapchat isn't working, the better.
5) I do not currently have any POE switches/equipment, so that is more of a "nice to have" for the future

The UAP-AC series seems to get mentioned quite a but, but most reviews also mention poor actual throughput performance. I also saw the mikrotik rb951g-2hnd mentioned as a good budget pick, but i do not see it discussed much here. Should i just be looking at something like the TP-Link AC1200 router, which seems to perform pretty well in the router test charts(and is cheaper than the AP version)?
Any help on which direction to look would be appreciated.

If you already own your separate 5GHz wireless then it sounds like you don't care about seamless integration and just an add-on will work fine. Sounds like any wireless will work.

The UAP-AC series in general for a single client are not the fastest devices out there. Generally where they shine is when in a multi-AP multi-client scenario. Their price point and stability are generally other good perks of the system.

So if you don't need 5GHz, just go pick up the cheapest 2.4GHz N device you can find and have at it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!