What's new

Advice needed - VPN speed slows down, have to turn on off once a day

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skeptical.me

Very Senior Member
Hi,

ASUS RT-AC86U
WRT-Merlin 384.7_2
Diversion, Skynet, OpenVPN Server, OpenVPN Client (paid service)

I'm using ExpressVPN in one of the 5 OpenVPN Clients. And lately I've noticed that the VPN connections slows right down. The solution I've been using is to restart the client and that fixes it for a day. I'm just curious to know if this issue is being caused by my router. Has anyone else here experienced something like this, and if so, what did you do to fix it. Its never happened before (RT-N66U & RT-AC87U).

I have the exact same problem on 86u with latest Merlin. After a router reset I get over 100Mbps through the router OpenVPN connection. It gradually declines to under 1Mbps within 24 hours. On router reset I get full speed again. 86U CPU is barely active, AES-NI can do 200Mbps+ in router OpenVPN easy.

If I disable the router VPN and run OpenVPN on my client devices they all push ~100Mbps without slowing down even when active for a week. I wonder if the ISP is incrementally throttling the connection when I run everything through the on router VPN.

VPN’s can slow your speed because the tunnel is routing in a way that can cause you to not have the same speeds as a non-VPN connection.

VPN’s can slow your speed because the tunnel is routing in a way that can cause you to not have the same speeds as a non-VPN connection.

Yes I know, this isn't what we are discussing. The VPN works full speed except when running on the 86u, which is capable of 200Mbps+ consistently.

In lab conditions and a perfect world, yes it is rated for tunnel speeds of that fast. It does not apply in real world conditions.

It does not apply in real world conditions.

What are you talking about?
RT-AC86U hits constantly 220-240Mbps on a local NordVPN server. I even managed to get up to 270Mbps in some tests. Few conditions have to be met though - real ISP speed 300Mbps or faster, VPN server in the same city, VPN server actually providing high speed connections, nothing else running on this same CPU Core, UDP connection, wired or 2x2 AC wireless client.

I'm using ExpressVPN in one of the 5 OpenVPN Clients.

Make sure it's running on Client 1-3-5.
This way it will be using CPU Core 2. CPU Core 1 does everything else. I have bad experience with ExpressVPN (not connecting, disconnects, inconsistent speed, etc) and therefore switched to NordVPN. No issues with NordVPN whatsoever. Very consistent service, stays connected forever. My local VPN server actually goes up to 350Mbps on UDP, but x86 hardware is needed.

ExpressVPN throttles. They claim they don't when you contact their support (who are nothing else than script responders). Further they are not capable to deliver proper speed at peak hours (e.g. weekend, etc. etc.) I am stuck with them because I have not found any other VPN provider who delivers L2TP (the only protocol that works here).

ExpressVPN throttles. They claim they don't when you contact their support (who are nothing else than script responders). Further they are not capable to deliver proper speed at peak hours (e.g. weekend, etc. etc.) I am stuck with them because I have not found any other VPN provider who delivers L2TP (the only protocol that works here).

I use ExpressVPN but have mostly been doing it on X86 hardware. Tonight I decided to setup a VPN client in the router for it to test and so far its running good.

on X86 hardware

I moved recently all the VPN clients on the devices (3 x PCs and 1 x iPhone) and not using it on the router anymore. I found Internet feels much more responsive when each device deals with it's own VPN client using it's own CPU and changing the server or stopping VPN is much easier and independent for each device.

What are you talking about?
RT-AC86U hits constantly 220-240Mbps on a local NordVPN server. I even managed to get up to 270Mbps in some tests. Few conditions have to be met though - real ISP speed 300Mbps or faster, VPN server in the same city, VPN server actually providing high speed connections, nothing else running on this same CPU Core, UDP connection, wired or 2x2 AC wireless client.

Make sure it's running on Client 1-3-5.
This way it will be using CPU Core 2. CPU Core 1 does everything else. I have bad experience with ExpressVPN (not connecting, disconnects, inconsistent speed, etc) and therefore switched to NordVPN. No issues with NordVPN whatsoever. Very consistent service, stays connected forever. My local VPN server actually goes up to 350Mbps on UDP, but x86 hardware is needed.

The client I'm currently using is 3. I've found ExpressVPN to be quite good, I've used them since the beginning of 2016 ... I've always gotten near full bandwidth with them (except in the above circumstance). Also, I use them for streaming Netflix US, HULU, Prime Video US, DIRECTV, and every single US TV/Cable streaming App from here in Australia. So far so good. I also use ProtonVPN, AirVPN and sometimes TorGuard.

The client I'm currently using is 3

Test with a PC VPN Client software the same server you usually connect to and see if the issue is still present. If everything is working properly on the PC, then Disable temporary everything else running on the router (Custom Scripts and all TrendMicro components) and test again. Something else is affecting your router's VPN Client performance perhaps.

Test with a PC VPN Client software the same server you usually connect to and see if the issue is still present. If everything is working properly on the PC, then Disable temporary everything else running on the router (Custom Scripts and all TrendMicro components) and test again. Something else is affecting your router's VPN Client performance perhaps.

Are you addressing me? If you are, this issue (the thread we're on) is old, I resolved this long ago. Plus I don't use PC's or Android. Only macOS, iOS, and Linux distro's.

Ah, OK! :)
Share with other SNB members what was wrong, please.

Honestly cannot remember, maybe (i think) I just reset the router, reinstalled everything, and loaded the .ovpn config file and it worked fine.

Check NordVPN. I know they even support Socks proxy, so maybe they also support L2TP.

Astrill supports L2TP/IPSec among other protocols including Wire Guard and OpenVPN.

Honestly cannot remember, maybe (i think) I just reset the router, reinstalled everything, and loaded the .ovpn config file and it worked fine.
There have been approximately two firmware releases over the past few years where the OpenVPN performance tanked after the upgrade. I also fixed the issue by doing a factory reset and manually reentering the config and importing a new opvn config file.

Some findings, I don't have to reboot the router to get full speed VPN, simply disabling then re-enabling the Internet connection in Merlin will get full speed VPN (150mbps+). It slows down within a couple hours. I wonder if OpenVPN can be configured to reconnect every hour to maintain full speed. The OpenVPN config has a reneg-sec parameter to renegotiate VPN keys which appears to default to hourly (3600). Does this establish a new connection?

Last edited:
Check NordVPN. I know they even support Socks proxy, so maybe they also support L2TP.
NordVPN stopped L2TP on 1 December 2018.

try another outlet ;) (and/or outlet country)
that's what i do when my vpn client grows sluggish.
(i may notice this happening every 3-4 months)
it's a good idea to give your vpn support feedback on
exactly when and which outlet got "tired" on you.
they'll say everything fine, but if enough complain
then they'll take your comment seriously.

your sig mentions using adaptive qos,i perfer lan qos,
but it makes sense adaptive could be the problem :rolleyes:
try disabling it for a while and see if the vpn benefits.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!