What's new

Advice on wireless router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Craiggory

New Around Here
Just got an Archer C7 as I needed something quickly since my old router wasn't performing well. I am now realizing that I have about 9 devices that are connected I am not sure the C7 is enough. Honestly haven't had a chance to test with everything active just yet. Should I go with a MU-MIMO router instead? 1-3 PC's, 2 active phones, PS3 for streaming, and 2 tablets. I can return the C7 soon, but only 2-3 devices at a time are bandwidth hogs. Should I keep it or get something a little more capable and future proof?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Nothing is future proof. I would have to recommend the Netgear X4S which has working MU-MIMO. But I doubt you will benefit from it as no one else has.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nothing is future proof. I would have to recommend the Netgear X4S which has working MU-MIMO. But I thought you will benefit from it as no one else has.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MU-MIMO only works on the 5GHZ range AND if your phone/hardware supports it ( at least 2x2 connection )
and so far i am aware , not much hardware support it yet

@Craiggory
for the router it is up to you to decide what you like to use
if you want to spend some money on it for decent hardware , or that you just want to have it work ?

i used a long time the basic router of my provider ( motorola i think ) until i was tired of the short wifi range
so switched over to a belkin ( G router ) for some time and now i use asus ( AC more expensive , but a improvement of 500% in my case ^^ )
i also upgraded my pc hardware to match the new router ( ac adapter -> link speed of 1.2gbit )

ac87u-home.png
max connection i got is 18 connections at the same time
This was my setup before , most still exist but some stuff is changed by now
  • 1 router over G netwerok for 2 printers ( linksys with custom firmware )
  • 1 Nas (gbit cable)
  • 1 Smart TV ( Movie's from Nas Streaming, gibt cable with switch )
  • 1 DVD player ( gbit cable with switch)
  • 1 Google Cast ( pc -> tv streaming , wifi N)
  • 1 Digicorder (directly to provider with 100mbit cable )
  • 1 pc ( 1gbit cable with switch )
  • 3 laptops ( where 1 is used the most , others are older laptops and barely used , connected on N network )
  • phone or 5 connected to 5Ghz and 2.4 GHz ( mainly 1 or 2 phones are connected all the time on the 2.4ghz network )
  • My brother pc ( few montsh ago , connected over cable @ 100mbit, then switched to AC connection over wifi 5ghz -> 1.3 Gbit link)
  • My laptop connected to 5Ghz
  • Ip Camera connected to 2.4Ghz ( N ) and in the backyard ( 54mbit link rate -> long distance )
and so far the router was doing a fine job with keeping up the speed on all devices
as i was mostly gaming and my brother mostly downloading , no problem with speed at all unlike before

it is possible that other routers can also do that , but i loved asus from that moment xD

Greets From PowerChaos

For 5Ghz performance the X4S is probably the best in the consumer space along side the Synology RTAC2600 which is similar. Plus the Qualcomm CPU is far more powerful than the Broadcom routers which is useful for VPN performance, not to mention it runs cooler.

MU-MIMO only works on the 5GHZ range AND if your phone/hardware supports it ( at least 2x2 connection )
and so far i am aware , not much hardware support it yet

@Craiggory
for the router it is up to you to decide what you like to use
if you want to spend some money on it for decent hardware , or that you just want to have it work ?

i used a long time the basic router of my provider ( motorola i think ) until i was tired of the short wifi range
so switched over to a belkin ( G router ) for some time and now i use asus ( AC more expensive , but a improvement of 500% in my case ^^ )
i also upgraded my pc hardware to match the new router ( ac adapter -> link speed of 1.2gbit )

View attachment 10212
max connection i got is 18 connections at the same time
This was my setup before , most still exist but some stuff is changed by now
  • 1 router over G netwerok for 2 printers ( linksys with custom firmware )
  • 1 Nas (gbit cable)
  • 1 Smart TV ( Movie's from Nas Streaming, gibt cable with switch )
  • 1 DVD player ( gbit cable with switch)
  • 1 Google Cast ( pc -> tv streaming , wifi N)
  • 1 Digicorder (directly to provider with 100mbit cable )
  • 1 pc ( 1gbit cable with switch )
  • 3 laptops ( where 1 is used the most , others are older laptops and barely used , connected on N network )
  • phone or 5 connected to 5Ghz and 2.4 GHz ( mainly 1 or 2 phones are connected all the time on the 2.4ghz network )
  • My brother pc ( few montsh ago , connected over cable @ 100mbit, then switched to AC connection over wifi 5ghz -> 1.3 Gbit link)
  • My laptop connected to 5Ghz
  • Ip Camera connected to 2.4Ghz ( N ) and in the backyard ( 54mbit link rate -> long distance )
and so far the router was doing a fine job with keeping up the speed on all devices
as i was mostly gaming and my brother mostly downloading , no problem with speed at all unlike before

it is possible that other routers can also do that , but i loved asus from that moment xD

Greets From PowerChaos

I know this. But 1 single cell phone isn't gonna benefit from MU-MIMO. MU-MIMO IMO is useless. I have 45 devices on my network daily and all function fine with only about 4 having MU-MIMO.

Thanks for the replies. Future-proofing is me planning on being able to handle more devices than I have active now. Planning on a tad bit of home automation while doing remodeling on my home. Adding a NAS system also sometime soon. I suppose I can keep the C7 for now and see how it works with more traffic and devices running concurrently. We aren't too heavy on data right now except a few days out of the week (the joys of two kids and two jobs). I get buyer's remorse easily and wasn't sure if people have had much experience with the C7 with 10+ devices. I know it's a budget minded router and needed something in a pinch.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If you want to future proof while you are remodeling, run Cat6 to multiple rooms in the house to give future flexibility to have multiple APs across the house. As speed requirements and client density continue to go up, it will usually be simpler to add additional smaller APs to distribute the load than to continue to buy a BHR that can service the entire space.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!