What's new

Advice X4S vs 86U for best range and speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

redpen

New Around Here
Currently have Fios Gigabit internet and use the G1100 router. I have a 2 story house and get decent reception everywhere but not the best speeds in the upstairs far bedroom. I'm looking to replace the G1100 with either the X4S or the 86U for better range and speed. Looking for the best possible range and speed. Have narrowed it down to these two. If there is another option that I'm neglecting let me know. Not really interested in setting up an access point or mesh as I think I can get the range and speed from a single router solution.

Which would be the best for my purposes?

Needs
close to 1gigabit speed lan to apple Tv, getting that now with the g1100
best possible range and speed to to reach far bedroom
lots of phones, computers, and iPads , and TV's connected, usually around 3-6 at a time.
All devices are can use 5 GHz except for an older ps4 which is 2.4 GHz only
Won't use a VPN

7800 all the way. The router just works !! Excellent range. Use Voxel's firmware.

My concern with the X4S is LAN throughput. I currently run an ethernet cable from my G1100 to my ATV and get around 800-850 speeds on the speed test app on the ATV. From the review it looks like the X4S can't hit anywhere near that. Granted I probably don't need anywhere near that but would like to have as close to 1 GBs throughput as possible.

Just an update. Got the X4S. Everything works great. The range to the far end of the house increased significantly. Instead of 1 bar or reception I get 3. The 5ghz speeds didn't improve much at the extreme distance, still around 5-15Mbs but the 2.4ghz speed almost doubled from around 20 to 50Mbs. At close ranges I get my speeds improved a bit also.

I just plugged a a cable from the G1100 LAN to the X4S WAN. I turned off the wireless on the G1100 and set the X4S as an access point.

Thanks for the advice.

I have it similar but my place is not too big so what would be a step lower in both these models? I am a fan of Asus due to merlin but I dont mind Netgear so considering similar wifi issue, what would u recommend a step lower ( cheaper? )

Further update. Took the G1100 out of the loop and only using the X4S. All good to go. Just had to release the IP address on the G1100 before disconnecting it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!