What's new

Advise on securing Wi-Fi network.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kennybb

New Around Here
My friend is telling that he thinks someone is hacking into his wifi network. His wifi router is Linksys ae6900. He changed the password twice but he is still suspicious. He asked for my help. I read in an article http://nci.ca/5-tips-protecting-wifi-network-hackers/ that enabling WPA2 wireless encryption can give good security. What is WPA2? How can I enable this encryption? Need advice.

Thank you.

First thing you need to disable the other types of wifi authentication such as pin code.

What you want is WPA2 AES, its just an encryption scheme but its to do with how big the encryption is and how long it will take to decrypt or break the encryption.

However using a hidden network is a bad idea as this will leak the details of the AP, encryption and perhaps even the password when the client roams.

For additional security you want to use WPA2 AES enterprise with RADIUS

With Linksys Smart WiFi based devices - disable the guest network, as it is unsecured (uses a captive portal) - and disable the WPS functionality if possible.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!