What's new

Affordable NAS (DIY?) for Video Editing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wlitwa

New Around Here
Here's my issue: I'm looking at 16 drives sitting on a shelf. More are stored away. I typically need at least four hooked up at a time, sometimes six or eight. The drives currently range from 1 to 3 TB.

Furthermore, my office runs two Macs, a PC, and a Linux box.

As a small film production company, we go through a few terabytes a year at minimum. When filled, these drives can be archived (stacked away somewhere) and new drives attached.

What I would really like is a closet where I can hook all my current drives up and access them from anywhere in the office.

So far all I can find are NAS solutions that come with HDD bays. Our drives occasionally travel in the field / on set. The only one I've seen different is a small gigabit USB NAS from Synology. This is exactly what I'm looking for, but with a solid dozen USB 3 ports. Perhaps this is asking a lot.

Our budget is small (somewhere south of zero), so I'm game for a DIY solution. Can someone point me in the right direction?