What's new

After firmware update VPN is no longer connecting Asus AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bogartz

New Around Here
I have had this issue for the past several firmware updates IIRC possibly since Asuswrt-Merlin 384.10_2 when I first started using the firmware, after updating the firmware and the router is back up and running my VPN is stuck trying to connect to my VPN providers server. All of the setup info is the same as it was prior to the update and all the certificate info is still there just as it is required, but once the router is back up and running my VPN just shows it's trying to connect. As mentioned I've seen these almost every firmware update, but what I did notice is the text that is required to paste in the Custom Configuration area at the bottom of the VPN Client GUI of the router was spaced different like a single spacing whereas the text I copied from the VPN provider was double spaced. Whether this is the cause or not, doesn't seem likely, but it was the one thing I noticed. Other than that the text was exactly the same, but that is what got me connected again.

Did I miss something in the setup to save this profile somewhere or am I doing something wrong or not doing prior to the firmware update? It's not a major issue just a little bit of an annoyance that I'd like to remedy if it's operator error.

Last edited:
Hate to sound like a cliche.... But this sounds like symptoms of an issue I had a while back.

There are many discussions about "dirty upgrades" and this sounds like one of the candidates.

Search for posts but L&LD and look in his signature for the Manual & Minimal (,M&M) configuration.

Essentially, what can happen when upgrading firmware versions is that the data for settings get out of place.

After your update, reset the router to factory defaults, then reconfigure manually (Do NOT load a saved configuration file from a previous FW version as the issue will reappear). His link has all the details.

Check your System Log.

You may need to download an updated/newer OVPN file from your VPN provider. Back about the time you started having issues Merlin updated OpenVPN to a more current version (2.4?).

This caused some minor issues for some individuals.

Thanks all for the info.

I've thought about just doing a factory reset and installing new, but I've been overly busy at work and haven't had the time to sit down and do it. This will probably be my worst case scenario option.

I'm looking at the logs and I've got a list of Cannot resolve host address:, these are from the VPN server location I've had issues with in the past and have since setup a new client instance that I use now. The new client instance I created and use is the one that is getting VERIFY OK and 3 seconds after that it shows it's trying to connect to the other client instance which it's getting the Cannot resolve host address:. This is something I've noticed as well, after updated firmware is installed and I restart the router, when it comes back up it looks like it's got both locations active trying to connect simultaneously similar to what is showing in the logs. Is there anything specific I should be looking for in the logs?

I'll check on the VPN version.