What's new

AI protection enabled has increased my wifi throughput. Why?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

webbie

Occasional Visitor
Hello

Yesterday I did some tests with amazing results. They are completely contra intuitive. If someone has the same experience, I’d appreciate any comment.

I have an AC1900U - 3.0.0.4.384.45717 version, with pretty default config. Only triple VLAN as special config.

I decided to try AI protection and analyze how much speed I’d lose. So far with no privacy concerns. Just testing numbers just to make a later decision.

To my surprise LAN results have been identical (630mbps), but with wifi my speedtests have risen from 400-480mbps to 540-600mbps!!

Please note that my ISP offers me 630mbps as max speed.

Several considerations:

1) Tests are done with speedtest.net and also with the official test page for my ISP (Movistar), which is the one they use to say that your fiber is ok or not. Both giving similar results.

2) I have repeated this test no less than 20 times, changing on/off in the AI protection slide.
In every test without AI, max speed has been 480 (440 as average).
In every test with AI enabled, the minimum speed has been 540mbps (average 560, and some 580-600).
Not a single time Ai disabled max speed has been close to AI enabled min speed (480 vs 540).

3) Ping time is indeed worse in AI mode. As expected. In every test without AI, ping is 5ms. With AI rises to 11ms.

4) In both cases CPU spikes around 100%. At least CPU1. CPU2 is slighlty under CPU1.

It is for me an unexpected result.

What are your thoughts?

Some extra questions:

1) Privacy apart, is there any of these 3 AI services that it is absolutely recommended? Or any one that should be discarded because it is useless? Malicious sites blocking, 2 way IPS y el infected device prevention and blocking.

2) Is this ping increase from 5 to 11ms relevant, or I'm not going to notice it? I've used chrome dev tools to watch loading time (deleting cache each time) and apparently load time is similar in both modes (AI on/off)

3) Any other user with better throughput with AI enabled?

Thanks a lot!

I've used AiProtection on and off since 2015, it has never affected ping ,on or off I see 8.5ms .

I've never had CPU spike above normal and I cannot see how it could have any bearing on WiFi speed.

Well I guess that it depends on the router (mine is equivalent to AC68P), config (I have pppoe and vlan), fw revision (3.0.0.4.384.45717), ISP provider and who knows what.

But after 50 interleaved tests I can assure that in my case pings are that different. ALL 5ms vs ALL 11ms...
Maybe the test webpage acts differently.

How do you test it and get this 8.5ms? Just to know...

Regards.

Well I guess that it depends on the router (mine is equivalent to AC68P), config (I have pppoe and vlan), fw revision (3.0.0.4.384.45717), ISP provider and who knows what.

But after 50 interleaved tests I can assure that in my case pings are that different. ALL 5ms vs ALL 11ms...
Maybe the test webpage acts differently.

How do you test it and get this 8.5ms? Just to know...

Regards.

ASUS router GUI > Network Tools - Network Analysis -Ping.

And

Windows > Command Prompt > Ping.

https://www.nperf.com/en/
+
https://www.speedtest.net

I've used AiProtection on and off since 2015, it has never affected ping ,on or off I see 8.5ms .

I've never had CPU spike above normal and I cannot see how it could have any bearing on WiFi speed.
Are you sure?:eek: Is that a something specially designed high tech cutting edge advanced future Router?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!