What's new

AIMesh - and back again

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Preskitt.man

Regular Contributor
Took my setup Primary 86U and AP 68U with ethernet connection and converted it to AIMesh. Primary motivation was to have more seamless transition for cell phone while doing WiFi calling. In some limited testing, that did seem to work reasonably well.

BUT: First anomaly that I saw was that clients (my laptop) which should of just stayed connected to the the 68U (as it had a much stronger WiFi signal) was switching back and forth from the 68U to the 86U and then back again. Not frequently, but don't know why it should have happened at all.

But the killer was my Samsung TV. It is ethernet connected to the 68U. I have never had buffering issues with the TV before. Tonight, for the first time, about 3 times, Netflix is giving me hassles with buffering, and then TV says it lost internet entirely. Reboot of 68U brought things back again.

So, as my wife asked me (she being very perturbed by all this), "so, you tried to fix something that wasn't broken?" And she was right.

So, removed the 68U as a mesh node; and restored the system settings that I had saved, and am back to where things were.

Took my setup Primary 86U and AP 68U with ethernet connection and converted it to AIMesh. Primary motivation was to have more seamless transition for cell phone while doing WiFi calling. In some limited testing, that did seem to work reasonably well.

BUT: First anomaly that I saw was that clients (my laptop) which should of just stayed connected to the the 68U (as it had a much stronger WiFi signal) was switching back and forth from the 68U to the 86U and then back again. Not frequently, but don't know why it should have happened at all.

But the killer was my Samsung TV. It is ethernet connected to the 68U. I have never had buffering issues with the TV before. Tonight, for the first time, about 3 times, Netflix is giving me hassles with buffering, and then TV says it lost internet entirely. Reboot of 68U brought things back again.

So, as my wife asked me (she being very perturbed by all this), "so, you tried to fix something that wasn't broken?" And she was right.

So, removed the 68U as a mesh node; and restored the system settings that I had saved, and am back to where things were.

Interesting. I’m just about to do the same thing you did, start using aimesh just because I can.

How do you best tell which AP/router your devices are connected to at any given moment? Particularly an Apple device, if you know.

Thanks

For Windows, I was using WinFi (available for download or from the Windows Store) and for the S8, I like WiFiMan from Ubiquiti Networks. Either one in their respective environments made it very clear which router (identified by MAC address) I was connected to. As you may have noted, from other postings, even in AP mode, I used the same SSID on both routers. As for iPhones, base on previous research, I really don't know what to recommend. My wife has the iPhone (and there are no iPads). She's happy if she can read email/ send texts and do facebook. Speed is not critical as long as its acceptable and available.

Did just do a quick check, and WiFiMan is also available on the Apple Store:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ubiquiti-wifiman/id1385561119

I am running a similar setup without any issues between the 86u and 68u. (though I am also using a dsl-ac68u was a second node and that has dropped offline for no apparent reason)

One thing I did do wrong initially was that I plugged the Ethernet backhaul into in LAN1 on the 68u. This caused a massive network loop and slowed my router down to a crawl as it tried to deal with the packet flood. This killed the Internet and LAN speeds.

I notice in your other thread that you were using your 68u WAN port for the backhaul link initially. Did you keep that arrangement in place?

Always ha the Lan port of the 86u connected to the WAN port of the 68U. Been running it that way in AP mode for a year now without any issues. Documentation shows for AiMesh to do it the same way. Everything seemed to work fine for several hours - except for the laptop migrating to the 86U despite the 68U giving a much stronger signal. Then I started watching Netflix (an as noted, TV is Ethernet connected to a LAN port of the 68U. Things seemed normal at first, and then the buffering started and finally router seemed to just go away - TV buffered several times over about 10 minutes, and then completely lost its network. When in AP mode, never had a buffering problem. And after system was back in AP mode, haven't had a problem.

I am open to the idea I did something wrong - but don't know what. Di a reset and initialize of the 68U and then went to the AiMesh menu of the 86U, told it to look for clients - it found my 68U (via network cable) and joined the 68U into an AiMesh network. I am at a loss to explain.

It may have tried to switch to Wi-fi backhaul.
Once the node is added switch the priority to Ethernet rather than Auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!