What's new

AiMesh use with (or instead of) Ethernet?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DancesWithLysol

Occasional Visitor
I currently have two WiFi routers, one as just a access point and another as a typical router + access point. They both have the same SSID + password. Everything connected with CAT6 Ethernet.

I'm happy with this configuration. The only issue that I experience is when using FaceTime or Skype on my phone. When I walk from one part of the house that is served best by access point A to a part serviced best by access point B, a ongoing FaceTime or Skype call gets dropped and then gets reconnected. Is this something that Asus AiMesh could help with?

Typically the use cases described for this type of technology seems to be scenarios where you don't have Ethernet available to connect your access points together, but some of the marketing material leads me to believe that this technology would prevent the "dropped skype call" scenarios.

I just want to Have It All(tm). :)

No, AiMesh is unlikely to help.

Roaming behavior is mostly determined by the client device. ASUS routers do not support any of 802.11 roaming assitance standards (k,v,r). But they also need to be supported on the device to help.

You can try playing with the roaming assist settings in the advanced wireless settings. Moving the setting higher (-70 to -60 for example) will cause devices with stronger signal levels to be "assisted".

You might also have too much signal overlap. You can try reducing transmit power for one or both routers or moving them farther apart.

I went from 2 routers like you with different SSIDs and different channels, to AiMesh. Signal and switching between is better than without AiMesh, but there is still some disconnect.

Thank-you for your suggestions!

I do remember reading a series of reviews of gear from companies like eero that strongly implied that they have some sort of hand-off magic, and I was hoping that I could achieve the same thing while using access points + Ethernet. Going forward, I'll pay more attention to the roaming assistance standards that Tim mentioned and maybe someday this dream can be achieved!

The only times I really get the disconnect issue is when I'm talking on my phone using FaceTime/Skype, and I'm walking from one part of the house to the other. It's really no surprise that my phone switched access points.

Thank-you for your suggestions!

I do remember reading a series of reviews of gear from companies like eero that strongly implied that they have some sort of hand-off magic, and I was hoping that I could achieve the same thing while using access points + Ethernet. Going forward, I'll pay more attention to the roaming assistance standards that Tim mentioned and maybe someday this dream can be achieved!

The only times I really get the disconnect issue is when I'm talking on my phone using FaceTime/Skype, and I'm walking from one part of the house to the other. It's really no surprise that my phone switched access points.

We have do some handoff enhancement in AiMesh.

Is this based on the RSSI-based "roaming assistance" settings already supported in the routers?
Yes, it's based on the RSSI-based "Roaming assistance" and add the communication between nodes for handoff selection in each Node.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 ASUS_Z012DA 發送

Last edited:
Yes, it's based on the RSSI-based "Roaming assistance" and add the communication between nodes for handoff selection in each Node.
Thanks for the information.

I don't understand how APs can "handoff" STAs. They can delay response to STA authentication probes to control connection and they can de-authenticate STAs to disconnect them. But they can't direct a STA to connect to a specific AP. So how do they "handoff" a STA?

Thanks for the information.

I don't understand how APs can "handoff" STAs. They can delay response to STA authentication probes to control connection and they can de-authenticate STAs to disconnect them. But they can't direct a STA to connect to a specific AP. So how do they "handoff" a STA?

I can't describe detail procedure. It's possible to do it.