What's new

AIMesh vs Repeater mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

outlaw78

Regular Contributor
I have two routers. A RT-AC5300 and a RT-AC68P. I am currently using AIMesh for the two to bring wired ethernet downstairs (via Wi-Fi Mesh) to a computer and network drive and to extend the wi-fi coverage.

I am wondering in laymen's terms, what the difference is between AIMesh and repeater mode? I am using the ac68p as a node currently. I ask, because I really like Merlin firmware, but due to the restrictions of AI-Mesh not working well with his code (as it is closed sourced) it has no foreseeable future in his firmware.

If I were to turn off AIMesh and go to repeater mode on the ac68p, could I then use Merlin providing the setup works correctly and I can plug into the ethernet ports on the back of the repeater and keep current wi-fi coverage?

Would I need Merlin Asus-wrt on both routers or just the main one (ac5300) connected to the cable modem? Is there any downside to switching from AIMesh to repeater mode?

Last edited:
Aimesh will use what it get, so it uses Wifi or prefered ethernet connection from node (WAN-port) to the main router (LAN-port).
If you setup manually you have to decide repeater mode (wifi backhaul) or AP mode with ethernet backhaul.
Both will do its job. In the past we all used repeater/AP mode for more coverage. Aimesh just easier to administrate.
Only Aimesh needs AsusWRT, else you can load what you want to.

I have two routers. A RT-AC5300 and a RT-AC68P. I am currently using AIMesh for the two to bring wired ethernet downstairs (via Wi-Fi Mesh) to a computer and network drive and to extend the wi-fi coverage.

I am wondering in laymen's terms, what the difference is between AIMesh and repeater mode? I am using the ac68p as a node currently. I ask, because I really like Merlin firmware, but due to the restrictions of AI-Mesh not working well with his code (as it is closed sourced) it has no foreseeable future in his firmware.
AiMesh does not reduce throughput while repeater mode cuts throughput by half IIRC. I love Eric's work. However, my environment is such that the mesh works best for me. I waited for the bugs to get worked out and just set up my mesh about 3 months ago.

If I were to turn off AIMesh and go to repeater mode on the ac68p, could I then use Merlin providing the setup works correctly and I can plug into the ethernet ports on the back of the repeater and keep current wi-fi coverage?
You can use the LAN ports with AiMesh. I am unsure if you are asking if you can connect the router to the repeater via Ethernet versus WiFi. I do not think so. With AiMesh you use the node's WAN port for a hardwired connection.

Would I need Merlin Asus-wrt on both routers or just the main one (ac5300) connected to the cable modem?
For what? Regardless, you can mix Merlin with Asus OEM for rrepeater mode if the AC68U supports it. AiMesh requires Asus OEM firmware on all mesh hardware.

Is there any downside to switching from AIMesh to repeater mode?
AiMesh allows you to run all features that are setup on the router over the mesh. When using repeaters wirelessly that is not the case. I cannot remember the list of features unavailable to repeaters but bandwidth limiter is one. Repeater mode also reduces throughput and added repeaters decreases throughput even more IIRC.

Last edited:
Repeater mode cuts the throughput by half, but personally I've had a lot of issues with the whole mesh becoming unresponsive with AiMesh so I've gone back to repeater until that gets figured out.

Thanks for all the replies on my subject. Concerning using LAN ports, what I meant was that if I set the node up in repeater mode instead of AIMesh, can I still plug devices in via the LAN ports and get internet to those devices via the endpoint repeater and LAN ports.

I just wish Asus would allow open source on their AIMesh code (or at least let Merlin have access) so its a feature I could keep and still use Merlin's firmware.

By throughput, you mean speed or amount of data at one time or are they associated when talking throughput?

Repeater mode cuts the throughput by half ...
I do believe you can negate that effect by dedicating one radio to the backhaul and the other to clients only.

I do believe you can negate that effect by dedicating one radio to the backhaul and the other to clients only.
WiFi will be only slower half duplex while LAN specified full duplex!
depends on your needs, for many maybe indeed not really relevant.

Thanks for all the replies on my subject. Concerning using LAN ports, what I meant was that if I set the node up in repeater mode instead of AIMesh, can I still plug devices in via the LAN ports and get internet to those devices via the endpoint repeater and LAN ports.

I just wish Asus would allow open source on their AIMesh code (or at least let Merlin have access) so its a feature I could keep and still use Merlin's firmware.

By throughput, you mean speed or amount of data at one time or are they associated when talking throughput?
repeater mode only gives you more (extended) WiFi coverage, LAN not usable on repeater.
You would need bridge mode to have LAN supported on node, but then no WiFi to clients over there.
With AP mode you get both, Wifi and LAN, but need ethernet backhaul to node WAN-port.

AiMesh will give you a mixture of AP/bridge and repeater mode.

You can see it on admin-mode page, select a mode and look at the picture, than you can go back without applying the change.

Last edited:
LAN port clients are connecting thru the LAN ports on the back of the repeater. I just got done configuring my network and all clients are connected.

RT-AC5300 is the main router and I have a RT-AC68P and RT-N66U in repeater mode. Here's a question though, should connect all the repeaters to the main router or can I piggyback one of the repeaters on a repeater?

Also, the clients connected thru the wi-fi to a repeater don't show on the main router as connected clients under the client status in the network map. I have to log into the current repeater they are connected to, to see their status. Is this intended?

LAN port clients are connecting thru the LAN ports on the back of the repeater. I just got done configuring my network and all clients are connected.

RT-AC5300 is the main router and I have a RT-AC68P and RT-N66U in repeater mode. Here's a question though, should connect all the repeaters to the main router or can I piggyback one of the repeaters on a repeater?

Also, the clients connected thru the wi-fi to a repeater don't show on the main router as connected clients under the client status in the network map. I have to log into the current repeater they are connected to, to see their status. Is this intended?
better would be direct connection to main but no problem if you daisy chain them, with ethernet backhaul you wont see much differences.
Client list broken since years ...

WiFi will be only slower half duplex while LAN specified full duplex!
Point taken.

But the comment was made in response to someone who was moving back from Mesh to Repeater and was lamenting that repeater mode would cut throughput in half.

"Mesh" can use either an Ethernet or a wireless backhaul. Since he was reconfiguring as a repeater rather than as a wired access point I assumed he was using a wireless backhaul.

In that case the "halfing" effect is due to the same radio having to handle the same traffic twice, e.g., once from the client and then again to the router. I simply suggested a different configuration to mitigate that. (It's worth noting that some LinkSys products do so automatically.)

In a different conversation your point (half vs. full duplex) is also valid although mostly theoretical. Since up and down traffic is rarely symmetrical you will rarely see a "halfing".

I use 2 AC68Us. Tried AiMesh and didn't like it. Was a PIA to set up and my speeds were not as fast as repeater mode. You also have no control over the node. I run 4 different SSIDs. 2 on the main 2 on the repeater.
Speed on the repeater is the same as the speed on the main router. Speedtest.net says 80 down 10 up on either router I'm connected to and I can choose because I run 4 SSIDs. Repeater mode is connected on 5 GHz band to the main router.
Desktop is connected to the repeater through LAN(cat 6) and also gets full speed.

I use 2 AC68Us. Tried AiMesh and didn't like it. Was a PIA to set up and my speeds were not as fast as repeater mode. You also have no control over the node. I run 4 different SSIDs. 2 on the main 2 on the repeater.
Speed on the repeater is the same as the speed on the main router. Speedtest.net says 80 down 10 up on either router I'm connected to and I can choose because I run 4 SSIDs. Repeater mode is connected on 5 GHz band to the main router.
Desktop is connected to the repeater through LAN(cat 6) and also gets full speed.
Indeed, just tested repeater mode and yes my LAN-port on far repeater node has been usable, could reach internet and intranet-devices.
I have been refering to the Asus picture for repeater mode showing only WiFi devices connected to repeater and NO LAN device.
And furthermore to this thread where it has been asked in the past as well and telling only with 2 identical nodes it is possible to use LAN on far node: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/does-asus-rt-ac68u-in-repeater-mode-allow-lan-connections.40258/
But I tested with an RT-AC68U as repeater and RT-AC86U as main router and worked well.
Then I tested with completely different Fritzbox as router and same result, working as supposed to. Maybe it is depending to firmware version, dont know ...

So in my testing I have to say, YES you can use LAN-ports on repeater in same way as wireless devices!

So the point of this thread was AiMesh vs Repeater. I see more advantages in repeater mode. It does everything AiMesh does and more.
If you use the same SSIDs as main router and adjust roaming assist on main router you basically have AiMesh.
Unless I’m missing something??

So the point of this thread was AiMesh vs Repeater. I see more advantages in repeater mode. It does everything AiMesh does and more.
If you use the same SSIDs as main router and adjust roaming assist on main router you basically have AiMesh.
Unless I’m missing something??

Allegedly... centralized management (easier install and maintenance); node and node band steering (automatic and seamless roaming with a single SSID), self-healing, performance router features and performance at the node(s) (features like AiProtection, QoS and Parental Controls work across the entire network).

Otherwise, ASUS is wasting their time.

OE

In that case the "halfing" effect is due to the same radio having to handle the same traffic twice, e.g., once from the client and then again to the router. I simply suggested a different configuration to mitigate that. (It's worth noting that some LinkSys products do so automatically.)

I just configured my 68U to be a repeater (replaced two cisco/linksys units running DD-WRT). With DD-WRT running as the repeater bridges, I could only use one Radio.
'
I didn't realize that I would get use of the 2nd Radio with Asus Repeater. Repeat the 5GHz to the main (86u) at full speed and ability of 68U (TurboQAM) and have extended range clients connect to the 68U Repeater on the 2.4GHz Radio, those clients will get near full speed back to Primary Router and WAN. 5GHz clients connecting to the 68U Repeater getting half. Backhaul is on 5GHz.

The Asus Repeater option is similiar to the DD-WRT WDS on 3 610N 1 E3000 I ran years ago, backhaul on 5GHz, all clients connect on 2.4GHz. If you want Roaming, use same SSID's on the Repeater vs default _RPT and/or _RPT5G added.

WDS in the setup above had the benefit of not doing MAT vs on the Asus Repeater, having all clients connected to the Repeater all reporting the Repeater's MAC address. The Asus messed up Client List doesn't help.

I think Asus AP Mode (wired connect) would not do MAT and it looks like AIMesh isn't either???

Last edited:
I have an old Netgear r6300 with DDWRT which is connected to the main Asus 68p router via ethernet (powerline adapter) on the other side of the house.

I have disabled dhcp on the Netgear basically turning it into a switch with wireless capabilities....I am providing internet to other PCs via lan port and wifi to the other devices on that side of the house without cutting bandwidth at all and I can choose to have the same ssid as the main router or a different one....everyone is in the same network....works great.

Currently, you can't.

Apologies for the necropost, but didn't want to create a new thread for the exact same question.

I now have a 68U just sitting around unused and and thinking about trying out Mesh node (currently I just have a main router GT-AX6000, and a Nighthawk R7000 flashed with Merlin connected via wireless in repeater mode out in the garage) and am not clear on something; can a router in Mesh mode connect to the "main" router wirelessly? i.e. no ethernet connection to WAN at all?

I'm thinking about trying to connect to the Mesh completely wirelessly, if possible.

... and a Nighthawk R7000 flashed with Merlin ...
Running Asus/Merlin firmware on non-Asus hardware is illegal and unsupported.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!