What's new

AiMesh vs Repeater

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

agilani

Very Senior Member
So i've been spending a lot of time troubleshooting problems with my wireless network since upgrading to the latest asus 384 code base. While i was at it, i started looking deeper into the repeater mode and aimesh since i had to eliminate that as a source of the problem. Here are a few observations i have made along the way:

AiMesh provides little to no visibility to whats going on the remote router where in repeater mode I can get into the web console for the repeater and check the wireless or the syslog of the repeater separately from the internet router.

AiMesh uses the same ssid and EXACT same channel as internet router. While this may be good for ease of connection and handoff, you are sharing bandwidth and have very little ability to control where a device connects to. Basically the bandwidth/spectrum on that single channel is then shared between the router and the aimesh node!

Although you can't specify the wireless channel in repeater mode, it does use different channels and if you backhaul using 5ghz, technically you can have a more stable network at the expense of using more of the wireless bandwidth in your area. In this case there is less chance that the 2.4 ghz traffic from one device is interfering with another repeater or router.

Personally I'm going to stick with repeater mode. My ability to troubleshoot and not share bandwidth alone make it a better solution than having one ssid throughout the house.

Last edited: